The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I get defi gauges or not

jevansio

Having a right going on trying to decide what type of gauges to get in prep for going single. I really wanted to go with defi, purely as they look cool when off & when opening/closing, but none of their range fits exactly what I want to do.

I really wanted 6 gauges mounted where the stereo is (stereo would go and maybe some small fabrication to get gauges to fit would be needed), I didn't really want gauges in pods up the a-pillar, over the dash & where the passenger airbag is.

Defi do 3 styles, Racer, Link, & BF but each has a +ve & -ve:

Racer:

52mm means good chance of mounting all 6 out the way. Colour would match my DSBC EBC.

but

They don't smoke over like the BF range. They have no warning alarm.

Link:

Has all +ve's of the Racer series, has the audible warning alarm

but

They look like normal gauges therefore what's the point of getting defi.

BF:

My favourite, has all the +ve's (alarm, look asthetically pleasing in cabin when on or off),

but

They're too big & 6 has no chance of fitting where the stereo is, I've have to have them in pods all over.

Not having the audible alarm is a real -ve for me, if something is wrong I want to hear it rather than scanning gauges, so the Link series seem the best bet, but I'd be missing out on the whole "black when off" look.

Anyone any advice to solve my dilema or any advice on mouting 60mm gauges so it doesn't look too much like a race car?

Ta

Jay

AASup001.jpg

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

I should get pics up of mine soon, and they are the best interior mod i've done by far! Well worth the bucks!

5Bf's....gonna get the exhaust gas temp this month too!

I have a 60mm 4pod thing where the top glove box used to be...

heard their quite rare as most ppl have the 3 60mm pods,

the 4pod defo looks more oem, and its the same leather as the dash.

The the boost bf where the fan used to be beside the clock, then I got the AEM A/F ratio meter where the clock used to be, and I'm gonna put the Exhaust Gas Temp on the other side of the steering wheel where the other circular fan is, no a-pillar pods at all,nothing sticking out anywhere, they all just fit perfect!;)

The Racer gauges are a Defi USA range and are only available with imperial units, see here:

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/br/br_type.html

There are very few 52mm gauges available now, the Defi Link Meter range is probably the best:

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/meter/meter_type.html

If interested I am running a group buy for the Defi gauges at the moment, see details HERE and HERE

If interested I am running a group buy for the Defi gauges at the moment, see details HERE and HERE

Cheers Nic, but I don't think I'll of made my mind up by the time the GB ends :D, will drop you a line when I do though,

Yeah go ahead be my guest ya big copy cat!

Lol, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D, the 60mm BF gauges tick nearly all the boxes for me, if I can find a way of mounting them well I think I'll go with them.

I have 5 Defi BFs and an AEM AFR, yes very nice to put them by the stereo, but the whole point of guages, is to be able to see them!!

They arent in your line of site down by the stereo,or over in the passenger airbag, the A pillar pods exist as its the best place to put them!

Thing is in the heat of a spirited drive I don't want to be looking anywhere but the road, has defi not got an additional indicator that flashes when any of the daisy chained gauges pass a programmable level - which I would mount in the line of sight to alert me of any problems, as soon as that flashed I'd back off to assess the situation, leaving me to mount the gauges out of the way, and with their 3 min playback capability, I could view the offending gauge's data.

How have you got yours arranged Rob?

has defi not got an additional indicator that flashes when any of the daisy chained gauges pass a programmable level - which I would mount in the line of sight to alert me of any problems, as soon as that flashed I'd back off to assess the situation

Yes they do, see here

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/op/op_ind.html

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/op/op_ind2.html

Well I think boost and exhaust gas temp stayin in my line of sight are the most important ones hence y they are closest to the main dash i.e the old fan outlets,

Fuel Pressure, Water Temp, Oil Temp and Pressure are still important, but if I have time to glance in the passenger wing mirror am sure I have time to glance at the flashing warning lights in the case of something going seriously wrong:p

Jay, if you don't want the dash cluttered with gauges, how about mounting a Defi Link Display in the DIN slot. With addional sensors, this can show/monitor/record most readings, you could then link this to the warning light.

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/dp/dp_top.html

It just doesn't have the WOW factor a set of defi gauges do :D :D One of the things I want is that cool startup/shutdown sequence, I'm just a big poser really :D