The mkiv Supra Owners Club

20" Wheels

Ian R

I am considering a set of 20" Wheels for road use. I have a cusco coilover setup at the moment.

Now I have 19's on at the moment and find the car handles ok. I have secured a set of 17's for track days which I will use when doing the ring.

Those who know me are aware of my driving style will they stand up to a bit of spirited driving or will I regret it ??

Will there be a massive difference to my 19's ??

I have 20's.If you do it your stupid,

cons;

I feel every bump

The ride is very harsh

most of my alloys have dents in the inner alloy wall as the tyre wall is so thin and the roads here are crap and bumpy.

Tyres are exspensive

Handling is crap, a saxo could go round a roundabout quicker then me.

Pros:

they look good on a wideboy.

Id have 19's anyday!

The problem is people have only herd, not experianced driving on 18'' 19'' 20''.....

My car runs on 19'' its has TEIN superstreet (topmounts) 2 performance bars and a full geo set up...

My car performs better now with that set up than it did with the standard stuff... So the blanket statement 'a car with 16s will handle better than a car on 19'' (or whatever) isnt actually true... only true if thats all you change....

I think it all depends how you drive and why you have a supra! Yeah sure the handling will not be as good as it could be but then what does handling matter if its just a cruizer..

The problem is people have only herd, not experianced driving on 18'' 19'' 20''.....

My car runs on 19'' its has TEIN superstreet (topmounts) 2 performance bars and a full geo set up...

My car performs better now with that set up than it did with the standard stuff... So the blanket statement 'a car with 16s will handle better than a car on 19'' isnt actually true... only true if thats all you change....

I think it all depends how you drive and why you have a supra! Yeah sure the handling will not be as good as it could be but then what does handling matter if its just a cruizer..

Agree I went from 16's to 19's the car handled like shit but then put the cusco's on and it handled better than on 16's amd stock suspension. I managed to lap the ring in under 10 mins on 19's with ease.

But as said will be using 17's for track days.

So the blanket statement 'a car with 16s will handle better than a car on 19'' isnt actually true... only true if thats all you change....

I don't think anyone's used this 'blanket' statement mate.

plus, we're talking about 20's and not 19's so regardless of how good your car handles on 19's...it's quite irrelevant.

I don't think anyone's used this 'blanket' statement mate.

plus, we're talking about 20's and not 19's so regardless of how good your car handles on 19's...it's quite irrelevant.

Yep just finding out if the difference is that much. If only they made those wheels in 19's would by them in that size but they don't but then again I have a set of Axis Hiros and Racing Harts in 19's so I suppose I shouldn't be greedy :D

Michael, I have driven a Supra on 20s... I found that i couldnt feel the road as much anymore and yes the ride was harsher due to no flex in the tyre wall..

But

It did 'look' good...

If i was going to race around on public roads i wouldnt choose 20s, but if looks are what you are after IMO (and thats all it is) they look great...

Ian... Do it.. :devil:

you have the 17s for when you want to 'Drive' it..

Best of both worlds :D

Surely if you change down from 20" to 17" for the really spirited driving/track driving, you will have to have all the geometery and suspension re-done. And the same when you go back to the 20s??