The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Question

Chris and Alana

Hi guys I know BPU questions are getting a bit boring but I keep reading that you cannot 'class' yourself as 'BPU' until both cats are removed. Take mine for example, I have

Standard j-spec Turbos

Stock air box with apexi panel filter

HKS SSQV

NGK BKR7EIX (iridium plugs)

Walbro GSS 342 fuel pump

Thor FCD

Whifbitz 1st decat pipe

Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust

restrictor ring

Now Im running 15psi which is just over 1bar, now even with the second cat in I could reach 1.2bar by just widening the hole in RR (I know because it boosted over 1.2 bar before I put the RR in) but I want to buy a EBC in the near future so I have some control over boost. oh I also have a new Miami GT SMIC coming soon. Anyway Im not bothered about saying 'Yeah Im BPU :cool: ' but from what Iv read 'your not BPU until both cats are out' why is that true if for example I can create the same boost and probably the same power but still have the second cat in? Sorry Im bored so thought I would ask.

Oh just to clear up further I know you have to be at about 1.2bar to be BPU but like I said I know it will boost to that and Im not going to go out to my car and fidle with my ring for hours just to say I actually have 1.2bar so can we just pretent for this question.

I am BPU+++, but still havent removed my 1st cat,

Class yourself as whatever you want imo, its jut pub banter!;)

.....and why would you class yourself as BPU+++? This normally involves uprated turbos, BC, larger injectors perhaps etc etc :search:

Don't worry, just enjoy your car :)

Personally, I would prefer to restrict the boost to say 1bar and then use an EBC, as you say this gives you more control over the boost levels.

If you do up the boost, then I would fit an exhaust gas temp gauge at the same time, so you can monitor temps. The cats are quite restrictive so can cause hot temp readings, although you should be okay with just the second cat in place.

.....and why would you class yourself as BPU+++? This normally involves uprated turbos, BC, larger injectors perhaps etc etc

All of which I have except uprated turbos...which I would see as an advanced upgrade like stage 1??

Why go to the trouble of taking out my first cat only to put a new pipe of similar diameter then fit a restrictor ring?

I could do as you say and uprate the turbos too...does that mean I'm not BPU in comparison to someone who has an induction kit and a straight through exhaust??? Let common sense prevail on this one shall we:d

Exactly why I'm changing the F Con!!!Its locked apparently, and the older silver FCons are meant to be a PITA to tune, so as its running pretty rich at the mo it'll be getting replaced with the AEM EMS...good investment for my single project that should all goin well start in the late summer!;)

All of which I have except uprated turbos...which I would see as an advanced upgrade like stage 1??

Why go to the trouble of taking out my first cat only to put a new pipe of similar diameter then fit a restrictor ring?

I could do as you say and uprate the turbos too...does that mean I'm not BPU in comparison to someone who has an induction kit and a straight through exhaust??? Let common sense prevail on this one shall we:d

Ah OK, but still full decat is classed as BPU - nothing less. To eanr your extra +++'s you should be looking at Hybrids or uprated twins I suppose using stock boost piping, and like you say and have, bigger injectors with something to control the fuelling.

But hey, if you're going single - who cares! :D