The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Fenders

bolarbag

Got my Seibon Carbon Fenders 2day...I know they are a waste of 7oobig ones but they look like a work of art!;)

However...:(

Through the freight network they have been slightly damaged, in the same place on both sides!And a little crack on the bottom of the left hander,

The damage is minimal, looks like the laquer or whatever they use has cracked,can they be repaired...or do I just paint them and be content with the fact that I'll still know their Carbon!:rolleyes:

Would prefer to know if they can be repaired because I'm gonna buy the doors aswell...and I want to keep them natural carbon...if they get cracked or even slightly damaged its gonna spoil the look!

I had a guy from auto-windscreens repair my window after a stone chip a few weeks ago. The repair was great and I couldn't see any damage after the treatment. Having a few carbon parts on the car myself I ask if the same treatment would work on damaged areas of carbonfibre. He said he wasn't sure but couldn't see why not.

maybe worth asking around and getting a window repair companys advice.

lets us know how it goes.

I woul contact the supplier initially and ask for them to be picked up

Done, just gutted, would have done a more thorough check, but I had to ask the girl to wait late for me to pick them up, and I was in a rush inspecting in the freight companies car park in the pissing rain!Bumper:rolleyes:

Keep ya all posted...but can Carbon Fibre be repaired to look as new or is that option a lost cause?

I'm gonna be buying quite a few carbon bits, just thinking if they got chipped or scratched am fookd!:search:

I can't remember seeing carbon fibre being repaired. I guess you could always do something clever with the paint or maybe even dust over the carbon fibre with a light coat of Kandy paint to help hide it but still show the weave.

would you pay £700 for some carbon fibre that's been repaired??

Possibly, don't really like waiting and seen plenty of big bits of carbon get damaged in the post. Who's to say it won't happen again if they're sent back? Then you're back to square one but 6 weeks later. If it was fibreglass you'd probably just get a bodyshop to fix it while it's getting painted but obviously carbon's a lot more tricky so if there was a way of fixing it then I'd try that.

Possibly, don't really like waiting and seen plenty of big bits of carbon get damaged in the post. Who's to say it won't happen again if they're sent back? Then you're back to square one but 6 weeks later. If it was fibreglass you'd probably just get a bodyshop to fix it while it's getting painted but obviously carbon's a lot more tricky so if there was a way of fixing it then I'd try that.

what if you tried to get it fixed and it looked cack?

then you're stuck with it as you can't send it back?

Fair point. I guess I'd make sure that they could get fixed properly first. Depends where the damage is too. I'm not saying I'd be happy about it, just that sending carbon through the post is always going to be risky so I'd try to avoid that risk again.