The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a supra

Metallikev

Hey People,

Just looking for some advice on what to look for when buying a supra. Basically i'm going to go to the port auctions with a couple of mechanic friends of mine and i'm wondering if anyone has advice on what to look for when buying a supra. ie. Common faults etc. All feedback is appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Kev

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum :D

things to look out for are all listed in the buying guides located here

i used them when i was looking for mine and they are invaluable.

Also, there are a few traders on here that may be useful, such as cj, jurgen, or paul at whifbitz - all very helpful and knowledgeable.

good luck with the sale, and keep us posted :thumbs:

Hiten

As Hiten said mate, have a look in the Supras for sale section here. We are all enthusiasts, spend most of our time and money on our Supras and have a respect for one another. It's a great forum and a good place to meet new like minded people too.

It's always nice to see a Supra sold, but stay within the club even if owned by a new member ;)

All the best, good luck and shout out if you need any help.

Greg

Where did you go Smiffad?, i 'm gonna go check them out and see whats there but like i said previous want it to be a good one as i'm hoping to get a decent one and look after it for a few years :)

Southampton docks, "A1 imports" and "motor way" i think it was called.

A1 sold all of one car out of 60 in the time i was there, due to their rather optomistic reserves and MW was just full of rotters :( Half of them were towed through! and one of the supras had 3 different wheels :rolleyes: )

Seems the best bet is to find one in japan and get it over, or find one already over here and has been shaken down so to speak or bought by a reputable dealer off the boat.

Good luck with the search, once i get my SX shifted ill be doing the same, cant wait :D

Ahh right, 3 different wheels aint ideal!, i'll let you know what i find when i go.

Anyone any advice one who's the best insurance company to go with?, i know the supra owners club have a deal with Sky insurance, are they alot cheaper?.

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure i know what to expect when i get one thats all :)

Will do, i'll give them a buzz at some point and see what they can do, gonna go home tonight and work out finances and find out exactly how much i can afford and work to that limit. Will post again if i need any more advice, thanks to everyone for the comments, will keep you all posted :)

Take care

Kev

Kev, good luck with your search bud. As well as Sky some people on here are insured with Lancaster. Sky was by for the cheapest when I was looking - was about £1000 fully comp on a BPU TT. I'm 26 - 4 ncb - 7 pts.

As for buying a Supra as already said there's traders on here that have very good reputations for top cars. In my opinion though importing from Japan or buying fresh imports doesn't save you as much money as it used to. It seems to me the cars already here are better value than those in Japan.

CJ always has excellent cars at realistic prices so keep an eye out in the For Sale section.

Expect to pay £6k - £8k for a good TT auto.

Expect to Pay £8k - £10k for a good TT manual.

You will get cars cheaper than the prices above though but be careful it's a genuine bargain and not a dog. Always put up an ad of a car you're viewing on this board too in case something looks a miss or doesn't look right.

Goodluck mate and welcome to the club!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...