The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My head gasket has gone or my head is cracked. please advise!

cookci

Somebody please help me!

Basically either my head gasket has gone or the head is cracked. Im 100% sure its one of the two but no idea which!

The coolant is pressurising and its going down quite quick! Oil and water havent mixed though but the sniff test proved there are exhaust gases coming through the coolant!

So my question is... Any ideas where i can get it repaired in or around manchester? Can the head be welded if it is cracked (i.e. is the engine scrap)

I have spoken to Chris wilson and he has been very helpful but his quote for repair is a little higher than i can afford

please help

Doing this sort of job isn't going to be cheap because of the time involved.

I wouldn't trust most mechanics with my car , but Chris has a good reputation and if I couldn't do this sort of thing myself I would take it to him . :)

I would rather pay a little more and get it done properly.

Mate your best/cheapest option is probably to source a new NA engine... They are cheap and easy to fit.... OR go TT :D

Deja-vu eh Jody?... lol - I haven't stopped thinking about that since our conversation!...

Doing this sort of job isn't going to be cheap because of the time involved.

I wouldn't trust most mechanics with my car , but Chris has a good reputation and if I couldn't do this sort of thing myself I would take it to him . :)

I would rather pay a little more and get it done properly.

i trust he is the best person to do the job but not sure I can afford him! Im not saying im def not going to pay him what he's quoted me but just seeing if perhaps there is a cheaper option... then maybe i can sell up and get a TT

IF you do, give me price on your NA, My bro wants one with a knackered engine as a project!

this isnt an option unless he wants to pay almost working supra prices! lol

I think with the condition and kit on the car i could get almost 5K on autotrader as a working car. I was kinda hoping to get it back on the road again for about 1K

Can the head be welded if it is cracked (i.e. is the engine scrap)

The head can be welded if cracked/erroded but will need heat treating afterwards, which may warp it and make it scrap. Better to have the head aluminium soldered with high temperature special solder (is ok to 400 degrees C). This leaves the head intact and not needing heat treating after.

What's a coolant bypass?

I'd assume, it means that they have bypassed the heater matrix, those two pipes that run into the back of the dash.

Personally, I'd not do this, because the heater matrix might not do a great deal, but it does cool down the coolant as well as, and by passing this, does mean the engine is likely to run hotter and possibly blow a head gasket.

I'd assume, it means that they have bypassed the heater matrix, those two pipes that run into the back of the dash.

there is also a mod where by the coolant line to the throttle body is stopped/disconected, its there to aid cold starts i think, but can free up a few horses if disconnected.