The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blow out, need new tyres but which?

scotspower

Following a rather go home for new pants blow out at the rear on the motorway into Glasgow at the weekend im now looking for new tyres for the rear.

I’m currently on 11.5”x18 Falken FK451 285/30ZR18

Can anyone offer some advice on which tyre’s to replace these with and should I change the profile or keep the same?

When it comes to tyres I know very little but am happy to pay good money for good tyres as this is one area I don’t believe in skimping on.

well i have a 265/35/18 on my rears. thats with a 9" width alloy so your current profile sounds about right. The wider the wheel the smaller the profile to keep the wheel and tyre as close to stock as possible. Try a search there was a thread or a link somewhere about what tyre size to use compared to wheel width.

As for the tyres I dont think I would change mine from the F1's s but Iv heard the toyo T1'r is supposed to be good aswell but Iv never used them.

michelin pilot sport ps2's are awesome. by far and away the best tyres i've ever bought... couldnt believe how much extra grip they give when i first got them.

Mucho expensivo though aren't they? What other tyres have you used that you're comparing them too? I'll probably need some new tyres towards the summer so I'm trying to pick as many brains as possible :)

I had FK451's on the rear on mine, and I was well impressed, better than the F1 GSD3's before, certainly in terms of wear, best thing was they were on sale and only cost 62 quid each delivered inc VAT from mytyres.co.uk (and they werent out of date like some of the other retailers allege)

I have a pair of FK452's to go on the BMW when the current set are gone, so I wont know until then.

Guest clarkmagpie

iv toyo proxes r888's fantastic things and are not to bad in the wet. hardly do any miles though. suppose to last 3k....doubt i will get that from them though!

michelin pilot sport ps2's are awesome. by far and away the best tyres i've ever bought... couldnt believe how much extra grip they give when i first got them.

have had eagle f1s and toyo proxes before on the supra. the ps2s are expensive but worth the money imo. also i got lucky with my rear ones as i got them used off a fella that had smashed up his 911 with about 80% tread left.