The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting advice required: Envy A-pillar pod

Ark

Chaps, I need a spot of guidance with this a-pillar pod - the visible side is a near-perfect replica of the stock trim, but the inner side has none of the mount points of the original.

What does everyone do to hold it in place? Screws are not an option, if we are to retain the factory feel :innocent:

That's how they come jamesmark, I doubt either option would enlighten you beyond suggesting sticky tapes, glues or screws / nails.

Sadly there is no real way to fix them other than to add something sticky yourself, when I eventually so mine I'm planning on removing the fixings from a spare one I have and attaching them to the Envy one.

No more nails do a double sided tape but it's very strong, otherwise look for a foam tape or a fairly grabby adhesive that sets as a gel rather than solid so you can remove it again.

Sorry, thats how they come, honest :)

Theres a number of options to secure them, it just depends on what you like using...

Gaz.

I like using factory fittings ;)

Seriously, I just want it solid and factory-esque, but non-permanent. I don't want to mutilate my original trim (in case...) so I was toying with the idea of fabricating replica fittings, but if there are common routes people go down...

I did 3 things to fit mine, though I purchased the Miami-GT 2 guage A-Pillar pod (not sure if there is any difference):

1> Used velcro tape for lower A-Pillar section where inner surface of composite pillar was closest to the cars A-Pillar

2> Extended the end of the composite so it tucked nicely underneath the B-Pillar trim (the bit above the door)

3> Used a black plastic screw from an auto-factors to secure the composite to the A-Pillar using one of the factory A-pillar screwing points.

You need to accomodate the overall weight of both the composite A-Pillar trim and the gauges you are fitting, which will be heavier than the stock trim.

I had an a-pillar gauge mount on my GT-Four.

To fit it, I found there is a key-hole shaped opening on the actual a-pillar. So I put a cap-head bolt into this, then coated the surrounding area in PTFE release tape.

I then splodged a bit of body filler into the back of the a-pillar in about the place that the bolt would go into. Not too much though, you don't want it oozing out of the sides, also you want you filler quite firm, not runny, and let the filler go off whilst in place.

Then to remove the a-pillar mount, I just pushed it in the direction thet let the bolt head out of the key-way shaped hole, if you see what I mean.

Job done. I could fit/remove the mount as often as I liked, didn't have to butcher the existing one, so i could replace it if need be, and it all looked completely stock, with no fixings on display.