The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Or NA??

boombastictiger

Hi

Btw im NOT comparing the supra NA to TT stock cars here...

If you had a choice between a Supra at 350bhp or a Supra Turbo 350bhp, which would it be? and why?

I used the supra as an example, it wouldnt have to be a supra, im just trying to see if people prefer NA or Turbo cars.

Money would is no factor in this questions, its purely down to performance and driving .

Depends.

If it had plenty of low down torque I wouldn't care whether it was turbocharged.

If it was a highly tuned small engine with 350bhp peak power but all at the top end and no midrange (ala S2000) then I wouldn't want it.

Yeah with serious forced induction, talking N/A cars with power dude

I agree, but what car will give you 600 true bhp with no turbo for 17,000 cant think of many, I have owned several very fast non turbo cars however and think they have their merits as the power is always on tap, eg TVR and Porsche 911 SC

Hi

Btw im NOT comparing the supra NA to TT stock cars here...

If you had a choice between a Supra at 350bhp or a Supra Turbo 350bhp, which would it be? and why?

I used the supra as an example, it wouldnt have to be a supra, im just trying to see if people prefer NA or Turbo cars.

Money would is no factor in this questions, its purely down to performance and driving .

A lot depends on the car and engine type. As Jake mentioned, you can have a screaming 350bhp NA like the S2000 but no way would I ever want one as a road car. On the other hand you can have a torque monster V8 or turbo'd S6 at the same HP which will be considerbly quicker and easier to drive.

Weight is a key factor too ;)

What are you looking at?

A lot depends on the car and engine type. As Jake mentioned, you can have a screaming 350bhp NA like the S2000 but no way would I ever want one as a road car. On the other hand you can have a torque monster V8 or turbo'd S6 at the same HP which will be considerbly quicker and easier to drive.

Weight is a key factor too ;)

What are you looking at?

I wasnt looking at anything to specific, just a general question, as im looking to maby change my car next year...I have driven a 1.8t passat before, and one thing i dont like about it is the turbo lag, and lack of power whilst the car turbo is starting to spin the car goes nowhere unless ur in the right gear and rev range.....i have a 1.6 megane aswell and it is more responsive, which I like alot...Obviously I have the NA supra aswell and I love that I have the raw power whenever i need it with no delay.....

I had a S2000 for 2 months in the summer as a courtesy car, I absolutly thrashed it, but to be hounest I really didnt like it that much as the main power was in the high rev range and when driving around town it isnt the most comftable car about, if I was in the low rev range and put my foot down the response was nothing like the response in the supra, and it takes its time to get to the 9000k mark, but again the s2000 is a 2.0 and supra 3.0...

The cars I have driven are fast but nothin compared to some of the machines that you guys are running, I was thinking maybe about a 350z, as standard is 280-300bhp, however a TT supra is what i was planning on moving up to, I know TT's are 350bhp'ish , i know the M3 is there at 350bhp, but I thats a bit to much money...but would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever driven a M3 and a TT Supra to compare the difference of the engines as they are similar. but lets say we talking about cars with power between 300-400bhp, which would you prefer a turbo'ed car or NA?

i love the raw power of na cars but also like the neck break power when a turbo kicks in like jeremy clarkson said about the ferrari f40 it gives other drivers hope untill the turbo kicks in then see you later, as too which one i would have if money was no issue then a n/a eg aston or some american muscle car would be for me

The cars I have driven are fast but nothin compared to some of the machines that you guys are running, I was thinking maybe about a 350z, as standard is 280-300bhp, however a TT supra is what i was planning on moving up to, I know TT's are 350bhp'ish , i know the M3 is there at 350bhp, but I thats a bit to much money...but would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever driven a M3 and a TT Supra to compare the difference of the engines as they are similar. but lets say we talking about cars with power between 300-400bhp, which would you prefer a turbo'ed car or NA?

I owned an E36 M3 just before buying the Supra. TBH, it was the nicest all round cars I've ever owned (well except the 328ic): Comfortable, reliable, very well made, reasonable servicing costs, cheapish insurance, etc..

It felt a quicker car than a stock TT and was far eaiser to drive and get the most out of. Its the sort of car you can just get into and drive hard without much driving experience of high powered cars, its very forgiving for a FR car. However, it didn't handle as well as the Supra and suffered from understeer despite the very expensive Harmann suspension, the limits of lateral grip are easily reached too - nothing like the Supra in this respect!

Straight line, a BPU Supra feels much quicker and considering that costs peanuts to do it gives a better back for buck. The BMW has more very low down power, being an NA, but once you get to 2.5k, the Supra takes over, it feels like it has much more mid range and of course once you reach 4krpm.... ;)

The BMW is incredibly expensive to tune and there isn't much you can do to really increase the power. Its not a car for those who like modding!

I would actually like another E36/E46 as a daily comuter, but it doesn't give anywhere like the thrill you get with the Supra on the weekend.