The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats best get new stock rad or upgrade

Paul372

i got a koyo rad imported from the US... cost me way less than a stock one would have.

Yep! Same here and it's a great radiator, a lot larger than the Fluidyne too. Fluidyne or Koyo mate, go for one of them and Gaz @ Envy or Dusty @ MVP will sort you out ;)

Well my stock one lasted for 11 years, so I'm not too worried about the longevity of a stock one. I fitted a fluidyne when mine went though as they're highly recommended and should be more efficient than stock (which would be useful if you have a FMIC, not that I have).

Be aware however that they are not "as stock" fitment, a couple of bolts don't line up properly and there's no way to bolt up the stock top air scoop back on unless you fab a custom bracket up. The stock rad also has a foam strip to provide a better seal between it and the front panel so there's a bigger gap there which you might want to fit some foam there. It's nothing serious and they're only minor gripes, see http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=83646 for more info.

I've heard the Koyo is a better fit... but then I don't actually know that for sure.

Well my stock one lasted for 11 years, so I'm not too worried about the longevity of a stock one. I fitted a fluidyne when mine went though as they're highly recommended and should be more efficient than stock (which would be useful if you have a FMIC, not that I have).

Be aware however that they are not "as stock" fitment, a couple of bolts don't line up properly and there's no way to bolt up the stock top air scoop back on unless you fab a custom bracket up. The stock rad also has a foam strip to provide a better seal between it and the front panel so there's a bigger gap there which you might want to fit some foam there. It's nothing serious and they're only minor gripes, see http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=83646 for more info.

I've heard the Koyo is a better fit... but then I don't actually know that for sure.

Good post Thorin.

I have a Koyo fitted and Mr CW will tell you it was certainly not an 'easy' fit. He had to find a new Rad cap that would fit properly, nightmare, and there were a few clearance issues. I suppose you can expect these niggles with most A/M rads though.

All in all the Koyo is a great Rad and my temps have been perfect. It is a lot thicker than the Fluidyne too. :)

Greg

Good post Thorin.

I have a Koyo fitted and Mr CW will tell you it was certainly not an 'easy' fit. He had to find a new Rad cap that would fit properly, nightmare, and there were a few clearance issues. I suppose you can expect these niggles with most A/M rads though.

All in all the Koyo is a great Rad and my temps have been perfect. It is a lot thicker than the Fluidyne too. :)

Greg

Good to know thanks. Sound like the Koyo might be even slightly more of a pain than the Fluidyne... but then it is thicker as you mention so should be better, although bigger isn't always better ;)

Good post Thorin.

Greg

hmm, i fitted my koyo in about an hour on my own... thought it was pretty easy personally. although yes you'll need a bigger rad cap (im using a slightly bent stock one temporarily).

if you choose to go down the stock route then mybe try http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/

Mine Cracked recentley and ive just done mine (J-Spec Auto TT)

I bought one from them for £165 + Vat (including delivery)

i got quoted about £300 for a stock radiator else where

I use aaronradiator a lot in the trade they are great, they did my supra rad for me and it was much cheaper that OE. If you have the money get a fluidyne one.