The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric fans?

Chiefgroover

Not the PHR but the Flexalite twin kits. The definately offer for better cooling control than the viscous ever could, but i recommend paying that little more Ernie and getting a good dual fan controller. That way you can control the temp at which each fan comes on, and also provides a switch to over ride this.

People say they are a big draw on the electrics but in truth they dont run that much as they are so effecient in getting the temps down to a specified level in a very Short ammount of time. I would however insure the Wiring is up for the Job, but providing you use proper gauge wiring and heavy relays they should be fine. The last thing you would want is them not actually working as you wouldnt know until its to late.

Here is what PHR claim......

"This kit is a bolt-on to every radiator: OEM, Fluidyne, Griffin, PWR, Koyo.

This kit includes 2 of the highest flowing Zirgo fans available. The stock clutch fan produces 3,300 CFM of air. The dual Flex-A-Lite fans produce a low 1,200 CFM. This dual fan kit produces 3,350 to 3,400 CFM! No more worries of overheating by installing an aftermarket kit!

The aluminum shroud measures 29 x 19 x 2.37" thick.

The price includes the custom shroud and both fans, fully assembled and ready to install! All you do is wire it up to anything that gets power power when you start your Supra (alternator for example). No thermostat necessary!

NOTE: That if you have a PWR radiator that we recommend you purchase the $5 bracket made to fit this kit directly onto the PWR with no modifications.

NOTE: That if you have a Fluidyne radiator that there is 1 bracket on the Fluidyne you will need to bend 180 degrees.

This is done easily with a set of pliers and does no harm to the radiator in any way, you are simply bending a bracket.

Price: $399"

BTW I am running the 175 amp alternator.

If its a no thermostat system, how does it know when to go and when to stop?

They are permantly on by the sounds of things...

"All you do is wire it up to anything that gets power power when you start your Supra (alternator for example)"

Also, Flexalites produce 3600CFM's If im not mistaken.

You can purchase a single Zirgo Fan for $68 - i run one on one of the mk3's Ernie.

If you want to wait, Jamie (red 6speed) is having a Fluidyne, Flexilites and Dual controller fitted next week hopefully, you can see his setup when finished.

I have the PHR with the polished shroud.

Works well, however I had major problems in summer with it and have since bought an HKS fan controller kit, and all is well.

The problem I had, was that at a standstill, the fans where reducing the heat through the rad so much, that the water was cooling and closing the thermostat. I couldn't believe it, but it made the engine run hot as the water wasn't flowing through the system.

Also, they take a hell of a lot of current to start them. if you have them on all the time, they will start before you crank the engine and then it leaves the alternator to do a lot of work quickly, to get the battery back to life.

I wouldn't get rid of them for the world, as they free so much space up at the front of the bay, it makes everything so easy to do. However, I would not fit them on another car without some sort of control on when they turn on and turn off, the HKS fan controller from Dusty, works out at about £80-100 at the moment and with afew relays is great at controlling these.

Strange, I have mine (AAP kit with polished shroud from MVP) running all the time. I do however have the PHR 175a racing alternator though so I have no problems with power drain.

I have never had the car overheat or run past the halfway mark on the temp gauge at a standstill.

I look at it this way, I would rather have the fans running all the time to get some airflow into the engine bay while in slow traffic. It can get pretty hot in there with the single turbo.

Strange, I have mine (AAP kit with polished shroud from MVP) running all the time. I do however have the PHR 175a racing alternator though so I have no problems with power drain.

I now have the PHR 150A alternator too, but I decided that I prefered to have the car heat up quicker than to take longer than needed with the twin fans on from cold.

I have never had the car overheat or run past the halfway mark on the temp gauge at a standstill.

I never had the car overheat as such, but I have a secondary water temp gauge, and it is quite unbelievable as to the tolerance on the OEM "halfway mark". I know for fact that my standard gauge will stay at the central mark for temperatures between 80 and 115 degrees C. Mine was seeing temps in the region of 110-115 at standstill. Something I was not overly happy with.

I look at it this way, I would rather have the fans running all the time to get some airflow into the engine bay while in slow traffic. It can get pretty hot in there with the single turbo.

I semi agree to that, mine are set at individual levels that are representative of reasonable temperatures. The first will not come on until 85 degrees and the second will only come on later. I can happily sit on the motorway at close to a ton and only have the one fan on. Although I am fully aware that a fan running during high speed is actually impeding air flow through the rad than if it were indeed not running at all. Which is one reason why the 2nd fan is set to come on at temperatures above that seen at high speeds.

I haven't got mine set to any type of speed control, but I can say that the oil temp gets up to operating temperature a good sight earlier than without the fan control, and with the amount of short trips I do, that can only be a good thing.

I have this setup on its way over from Dusty at the mo (its in Memphis tonight). Do you have a wiring diagram for installing the KKS fan controller by any chance?

If it is similar to the HKS fan controller :p . Then I used 2 relays, using the 2 outputs of the controller as the switches to turn on the fans. Pretty simple, however don't read too much into the instructions from HKS, because they confused the hell out of me.

Also, connect the temp sensor wire up by the ECU, as I got the wrong temp sensor and it refused to work, until I figured out my blatent F up.

I know for fact that my standard gauge will stay at the central mark for temperatures between 80 and 115 degrees C.

Yep, they are programmed to do that so that customers (the majority of which know nothing about cars) don't get alarmed by the guage moving around while driving & stop start.

So the guage just sits in the middle position all day & everyone is happy! Guage middle position nowadays means 'safe operating temperature', not the actual temperature!!

I'm just setting up a twin 14" fan installation with a dual pole thermoswitch in the top hose. First actuation of the thermoswitch is about 87 degrees and will srtart the first fan. Second actuation is around 93 degrees and will pull in the second fan. The air con will also trip the first fan if not already running.

Total cost will be about £80!!

I got the same fan and alternator as Gamer.And a Fluidyne racing radiator.I never had any problems at all and temp gauge never go past half way mark.My fan is running constant.The AAP dual fan from MVP is a nice piece of kit.

• 11 months later...
I'm just setting up a twin 14" fan installation with a dual pole thermoswitch in the top hose. First actuation of the thermoswitch is about 87 degrees and will srtart the first fan. Second actuation is around 93 degrees and will pull in the second fan. The air con will also trip the first fan if not already running.

Total cost will be about £80!!

bit of a resurection here, did this set up work well and which fans did you use