The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra's and kids

Guest Wannabe

Guest Wannabe

I'm looking to buy a supra but will on the odd occasion need to put a child seat in the back. Have any of you had experience of fitting a child seat in the back of a supra, do they fit?

yes kids fit well in the back (about the only thing that does) but a far better option is to rip out the back seats so the dirty grubby little buggers cant get crisps and sweet wrappers everwhere and buy the missus a Yaris.......................job done

Guest Geneb

Ah he will be ok, joffs a real big guy but he can take a laugh and if he cant.......well we will have something else to talk about on the forum lol:d

my 7 yr old sits on a britax base seat which bridges the actual dipped seat in the back but shes just happy to be in the Supe. Personally, and I know illegally, but she would be safer in the back of a Supra without a car seat. Lest face it, the seats in the bacl certainly weren't built for adults! It's crazy really!

I tried to get Ellis's (4) baby seat in the back of mine and it didn't sit properly and I wasn't taking any risks with him. I sat him in the front with the seat all the way back. I DO have airbags, so what is the concensus?

Should I not have done this? After looking at the internet I thought it was safe. I was trying to keep him as far from the dash as possible.

H.

I tried to get Ellis's (4) baby seat in the back of mine and it didn't sit properly and I wasn't taking any risks with him. I sat him in the front with the seat all the way back. I DO have airbags, so what is the concensus?

Should I not have done this? After looking at the internet I thought it was safe. I was trying to keep him as far from the dash as possible.

H.

You're not supposed to sit a kid in the front at all with an airbag.

Guest Geneb
Or just buy an aristo which is the same TT car but with 4 doors and a boot you can use :D

and doesn't attract as many envious looks

You're not supposed to sit a kid in the front at all with an airbag.

Is that the law or just a bit of common sense advice?

H.

Edit - Found this!!

Child Passengers

Always ensure that your child is in an appropriate child restraint that is suitable for the car and seat on which it is being used, and that it is securely fitted. Make sure the child is securely held by the child seat harness or seat belt.

Make sure that children travel in the rear of the car, if possible - it is safer.

Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.

Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat.

If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.

If there are other types of airbag in the car, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far they come out as they deploy and whether it is safe to use a child seat near the airbag.

Looks like I need to find someome with a facelift Supe, who has crashed it and measured how far the airbag came out!!

Guest Geneb
you obviously havent seen my car chap. Gets more looks than either of my supes ever did :D

Just seen your garage i take my comment back!! FEW THINGS THOUGH

HOW MUCH

WERE FROM

HOW FAST

that car would be ideal for me

My son is 8 months old now and still just in a rear-facing seat (the Supra is our only car).

The rear-facing seats mostly fit okay. Only problem is the length of the rear safety belts - we had to get a seat with an "alternative seat belt routing". If you use the passenger seat to "lock" the seat into place behind it, then it'll be about as secure as a baby seat can get.

The rear-facing seat that we got is part of the "Urban Detour" travel system from Mothercare.

More of an issue is total storage space. With the kid in his seat, there isn't enough room to get my stuff, the missus stuff, baby's stuff AND the pushchair into the car.

Will be looking at front-facing seats this month now he's getting bigger. These will prove to be more of a problem, as they are only secured by the seatbelt (as opposed to the front seat helping, as above) and most are designed for flat seats, rather than the deep buckets in the Supra.

The two options are either:

a) find a seat (or seat base) which jams into the bucket securely enough (the Britax seems to have come up a number of times, although I believe the actual model people have used is now discountinued).

b) use a foam mold to fill in the bucket and make the seat base flat. To be honest, just a bed of towels or something would probably be equally secure too.

I will be looking later this month at currently-available front-facing seats. Will post my results here!

• 2 months later...

By the way, final results (as promised) here (just for anyone who searches for this thread in the future).

We purchased a Maxi Cosi Tobi front-facing baby seat for the Supra. It needs jamming down into the bucket, but fits okay as it seemes to have a slightly narrower base than other seats we looked at and all in all, we were very happy with the result.

Guest Geneb
By the way, final results (as promised) here (just for anyone who searches for this thread in the future).

We purchased a Maxi Cosi Tobi front-facing baby seat for the Supra. It needs jamming down into the bucket, but fits okay as it seemes to have a slightly narrower base than other seats we looked at and all in all, we were very happy with the result.

same one we have bud but never tried it in the supra