The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still have strange noise issue!

silvershark44

Ok

Ive just been away for the last week and a bit skiing, so still havent resolved the issue with the noise comming from the rear nearside wheel.

Just before i went away i took it to a local garage who told me that the wheel bearing was fine.

I drove from lancaster to lincoln and it didnt even make the noise once. So thinking all was ok again i went on holiday. When i returned today, i got back in the supra again to go into town. After about 15 minsutes of driving the noise has come back with avengence!! Its about 100000000x worse thant before. I limped to the nearest garage (quikfit) who had a quick look and told me it was probably the handbrake shoes?

Now the noise is extremly loud, and constant going forward, and louder the slower you go, BUT it doest make a single noise at all in reverse!

I really do not know what to do as no-one really seems sure of what is causing the noise. Ive jacked the car up myself and there doesnt appear to be any play in the wheel, but what do i know.

It just seems strange as forwards it makes a terrible clunking/grinding noise with every revolution of the wheel, but in reverse its completely silent!!

:(

Why didn't they have a look at the handbrake shoes? :rolleyes:

They said if they took them appart, then they wouldnt be able to get them back together or something. They werent very interested to be honest.

So far ive narrowed it down to the following...

1.Wheel Bearing

2.Handbrake shoes

3.Caliper sticking, though pretty sure it isnt this

4.Differential

As you can see im at a complete loss, as im currently at least 100 miles from any decent garage at the moment. And to be honest i just took the car round the block and couldnt wait to get it back in the drive it sounded that bad!

If its the wheel bearing, surely it sold make the noise in reverse too?

Any half decent garage could diagnose this problem , it's not difficult at all.

100 miles from a decent garage, surely there must be one nearby. :)

Yeah i know what you mean, i just wouldnt mind getting it to turbofit or CW etc.

My initial question still stands though.........

If the wheelbearing has gone, surely it should be noisey going backwards as well as forwards?

When my wheel bearing went, it was only noisey going forwards.

Unless it was just me that couldnt get the car up to 60mph in reverse. :D

But my noise is the loudest the slower you go. At 60mph you cant hear it. Slow down in town to 20mph and it sounds like the wheel is gunna fall off.

why dont you take the rear disc off and have a look? only involves taking the wheel off, 2 bolts for the caliaper and then the disc off to inspect the shoes! if thay are buggerd i would take the shoes off put the disc and caliaper on then order shoes and fit when you get them, dosnt render the car undriveable

why dont you take the rear disc off and have a look? only involves taking the wheel off, 2 bolts for the caliaper and then the disc off to inspect the shoes! if thay are buggerd i would take the shoes off put the disc and caliaper on then order shoes and fit when you get them, dosnt render the car undriveable

Lol, thats exactly what i told quikfit to do. But they said they couldnt do that as it was against saftey regulations.

Ive decided thats a good idea though. At the very least i can start to eliminate stuff.

Is taking the disk off hard?

nope easy mate, 10-15min max! wheel off, bolts off for cailaper, then pull the disc off, if the disc is rusted on there is a thread taped into the disc (next to the wheel stud) wind a bolt into that and it will pull the disc off