The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Throttle Water feed?

Tricky-Ricky

Wouldn't this be potentially dangerous? As I understand it these systems are designed to stop the throttle freezing open on cold days / icy conditions? The potential repercussions of not being able to control the throttle properly in cold (or any come to think of it) conditions doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm not having a dig, just interested from a safety aspect....

Cheers, Mark

Thanks guys, obviously Toyota had good reason for including it, but i would have thought that the throttle gets plenty hot from heat transfer from the plenum, as if we don't do enough just to lower the intake temps, without heating it up in the throttle as well.

this does sound tempting on paper mate but i just did a google and there is quite a bit of stuff on this subject, this caught my eye

WHY Heat The Throttle Body!?

Q. This is just a question in general more or less. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer it for me, and email me with the answer.

I've got a 1998 Hyundai Elantra (doesn't really matter), my question is, WHY WHY WHY is the throttle body heated!?

I mean, to me it just doesn't make any sense! There are coolant lines running to the throttle body. I'm pretty sure it's like this on all cars because my parent's van is the same way. Why would I want to heat the air going into my engine? I mean, making it cooler would make a lot of sense, but warmer doesn't at all... I'm baffled... Really...

Your reply is greatly appreciated,

Corey

A. Since the first engine sucked in air, intake air has been heated to some extent. Remember on cars equipped with carburetors there was a large tube that connected to the air cleaner? Well the other end of that hose was connected to a heat collector around the exhaust manifold. This is how warm air got to the carburetor.

There's two reasons we want to heat the incoming air. The first is that the atomized fuel will mix with warm air better than cold air. This was actually more important with carburetted engines rather than fuel injected engines.

The second reason is to keep the throttle chamber from freezing. Yep, that's right. I said freezing. As in ice forming inside the throttle chamber.

Anyone who lives where it gets cold in the winter has heard of "wind chill". It'll be 30° with a wind chill of 10°. As the air moves through the throttle body, the same wind chill affects the inside if the throttle body. Under certain conditions, such as high humidity, condensation will form inside the throttle body and the moving air will freeze it. This ice will keep building up until it chokes off the air supply and the engine dies.

By running hot coolant through passages in the throttle body, it keeps the throttle body warm and prevents this ice from building up.

Some early fuel injected engines did not have heated throttle bodies and ice formation was such a problem that heated throttle bodies were retro fitted at the dealerships.

Bearing in mind the system was designed for the Jap climate where they regularly see bloody cold winters (not like ours) - over here I see no problem with this mod - unless the temp really drops, in which case would you be driving the Supe anyway?

well sorry fellas but i'me going on the side of caution and trusting in Mr Toyotas judgement, i honestly dont think its worth the risk i had a throttle stick on a 40 hp 2 stroke bike many moons ago the thought of that happening on a 500hp supra scares the crap out of me

well sorry fellas but i'me going on the side of caution and trusting in Mr Toyotas judgement, i honestly dont think its worth the risk i had a throttle stick on a 40 hp 2 stroke bike many moons ago the thought of that happening on a 500hp supra scares the crap out of me

Bike engines are exposed to the elements and get a helluva lot colder than a much bigger engine (producing more heat) and protected by bodywork will do.

However, at the end of the day it's entirely your choice dude - the gains are probably minimal anyway so what the hey:d :D

Bike engines are exposed to the elements and get a helluva lot colder than a much bigger engine (producing more heat) and protected by bodywork will do.

However, at the end of the day it's entirely your choice dude - the gains are probably minimal anyway so what the hey:d :D

good point chris, i just cant help thinking if there were gains to be had surely car manufacturers would just put in a solenoid valve controlled by an outside air temp sensor (theres enough of them on a supe) this would cost peanuts, unless there are other variables we dont know about like emmisions control

Well, I gave it a bash on my N/A and noticed no difference at all!! Mind you, I had a habit of removing bits if I didn't see the point of them (charcoal canister, half a mile of wiring, lots of hoses, intake resonators etc.) :) All it really did (as far as I can tell) is tidy things up under the bonnet and make further tinkering easier :):)

Well, I gave it a bash on my N/A and noticed no difference at all!! Mind you, I had a habit of removing bits if I didn't see the point of them (charcoal canister, half a mile of wiring, lots of hoses, intake resonators etc.) :) All it really did (as far as I can tell) is tidy things up under the bonnet and make further tinkering easier :):)

I have removed mine and i can't see a difference either, but as chris says above it makes it easier to tinker on other things if needed.