The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet Struts

Kranz

What a price compared to thers that are on the market, but at that price are they any good?

Just seen them today & gave them a bit of a test. Work great!! I think Lui got his Top Secret ones for £150.... but they are a lovely gold colour though ;)

Just fitted mine today :) The bracket at the top is a bit crappy, especially as there is only one bolt to to hold it in place (mine has bent slightly).

But otherwise they work fine and look good :)

I'll have to take a look at the bracket and see if it can be beefed up a bit with the old Mig welder :eyebrows:

• 2 weeks later...

And now fitted. The hinges make a funny creaking noise first time the bonnet closes, but after that its all ok.

May be worth while compressing the struts a bit before fitting to remove any sitcking as this is why the bonnet creaked the first time..... too much force overcoming the sticktion! Grease the ball ends too.

Simple mate:

1) Lift up bonnet & secure with bonnet stay (or else it falls on your bonce)!

2) Look at the two brackets that come with the kit. You want the peg bits pointing outward from the top bolt of the bonnet hinge. They should be marked LH and RH... though this may not be correct (mine were correct looking at the car from the front).

3) Take off the top bonnet retaining bolt on one side (12mm socket). The top bolt is the one that is highest with the bonnet open.

4) Stick the bolt through the T shaped hole in the correct bracket and hold the bracket against the bonnet hinge. The angle of the bracket should match up with the angle of the hinge.

5) Screw it in. The washer supplied did not fit (the bolt is a special self centering one), so was discarded.

6) Offer up the strut with the carbon end to the bracket you just fitted. The other end of the strut should be almost at one of the wing retaining bolts (10mm). Take this bolt out and fit the peg thing and smaller hole washer supplied. Fasten it up tight.

7) With the socket end screwed onto the strut, take the little wire clip things off the sockets... careful not to spring them across the garage!

8) Grease the sockets and clip them onto the pegs. Compress the strut a little (by leaning on it) to remove the sticktion. The bonnet will need to be raised a bit to fit the second end, but make sure it goes back on the bonnet stay after!

9) Fit the wire spring retainers back into the holes and then push them over the shaft of the sockets.

10) Do the other side!

11) Spray the shafts of the struts with a little WD40 to help lubrication.

12) Take off the bonnet stay while taking the weight of the bonnet..... then gently lower it down.

Job done! Total time about 30 minutes if you take it easy.

Well, my pieces of crap lasted nearly 3 weeks before they failed tonight, dropping the bonnet gently down on top of my head. Just replaced the brackets with some of uk-rich's (highly recommended!) as well.

not promising:( was that a stock bonnet?

Yeah, ebay ones on stock bonnet :(

The brackets that came with them were pretty awful as well, the ones I took off this evening were bent. As there is only 1 bolt hole on them, it's nigh on impossible to stop them twisting as well.