The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing the front studs

AMG

I have just tried to fit my new wheels but it turns out the fronts have had longer studs installed to accomadate the 20mm spacers required to clear my brakes. My question is, how hard is it to change the front studs? I have done a search and there are mixed reports of how to do it. Is it something that is easy enough to do yourself? Has anyone got a step by step to make it easier?

I fitted the rears first so now i have different wheels front and back, maybe it will start a trend :blink:

Also, where is the best place to get standard studs?toyota? or one of the traders?

wheel2.jpg

Requires a bit of hammering.

Remove brake caliper and suspend from spring safely (with big zip tie), do not remove any brake hoses.

Remove brake carrier bracket thingy.

Mark the disc and a stud with some red marker pen or paint so you know which hole corresponds with which stud.

Disc just lifts off, or may be a bit seized up, just use a rubber mallet.

Now mark/paint the hub where the marked/painted stud is, so you don't lose the mark when you remove the stud.

Gently tap the studs backwards out of the hub, or if you feel the need, hammer the frickers like an insane bastard, whichever works best for you.

Insert new studs, ensuring they are fully pressed/hammered into place.

Put everything back together.

Stride into your home like a collossus.

It also becomes easier if you (a) use an old wheel nut when banging the stud out and (b) for when you tighten the new stud into place - I used some old washers I had to save me having to wind the nut all the way in. :) :)

Also, brace the hub with a block of wood from behind (propped against the chassis leg or something) to absorb some of the shock of the hammering and protect your wheel bearings :) :)