The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Up'ing the rev limit

grahamc

This has probably been asked before, but havent found much on the subject.

What are the sort of mods that need to be done to do the following? 1.) up the rev limit 2.) improve the response of the car (low down).

Response wise, I am talking about something like this....The skyline...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaI0geXy3pk

We have all seen this video before!!!

Well, high rev limit and low down response do not go hand in hand!

However with a considered choice of non-to-wild cams and careful mapping Ian C has shown an improved reponse at both mid and high RPM. He's the only one I know who have actually logged and published the performance difference between different cam profiles.

Edit: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=85172

If you want a 2JZ to rev to say 9k rpm you'll need a fully built engine (circa £5-10k), but will lose on low down as to get any use out of that RPM you need massive lift cams

Well, high rev limit and low down response do not go hand in hand!

However with a considered choice of non-to-wild cams and careful mapping Ian C has shown an improved reponse at both mid and high RPM. He's the only one I know who have actually logged and published the performance difference between different cam profiles.

Sorry didnt mean it to look like I wanted both.

Its a one or the other type of idea, but I am thinking that the responsiviness is more important to me (hybrid turbos).

How do you get that sort of response out of the car??

Sorry didnt mean it to look like I wanted both.

Its a one or the other type of idea, but I am thinking that the responsiviness is more important to me (hybrid turbos).

How do you get that sort of response out of the car??

For simple quick power and responsiveness, go back to stock jspec ceramic turbo's.

If you want something to outpower it in the mid range then a small single is your only option, the BL or PHR T61 are awesome for mid range power. They're almost too quick spooling!

Would the supra struggle for traction a little too much, if it was able climb through the rev range like the skyline?

May have to keep my JSpecs...

Struggle for tractions when? Without TC it struggles anytime.

Stock jspec will be okayish in all but the wettest weather

BPU will just spin in 2nd in the dry, but has been known to have the back end out at 100mph in 5th!

T61 will spin in 1-3rd in the dry (even at 4k rpm)

T67 is insane, it'll spin in any of the first 4 gears no matter what the weather.

BTW, this is for a 6spd, I have no experience of auto's, singles are not best suited to them IMO

Struggle for tractions when? Without TC it struggles anytime.

Stock jspec will be okayish in all but the wettest weather

BPU will just spin in 2nd in the dry, but has been known to have the back end out at 100mph in 5th!

T61 will spin in 1-3rd in the dry (even at 4k rpm)

T67 is insane, it'll spin in any of the first 4 gears no matter what the weather.

BTW, this is for a 6spd, I have no experience of auto's, singles are not best suited to them IMO

yes for a 6 speed

hmmm... traction may be an issue then....

Multiple throttle bodies, a much higher RPM limit, and a suspension package that is obviously a lot more track orientated then the Supra one flatter the Skyline, plus 4 WD allows a LOT more out of the corner traction and end of straight speed. You are comparing apples and oranges. try a well developed Supra and a well developed Skyline GTR, on track, and you'll realize that they are poles apart. The 2 WD car is probably a lot more fun, if ultimately slower. They didn't ban the GTR from UK national racing for no good reason :}

Multiple throttle bodies, a much higher RPM limit, and a suspension package that is obviously a lot more track orientated then the Supra one flatter the Skyline, plus 4 WD allows a LOT more out of the corner traction and end of straight speed. You are comparing apples and oranges. try a well developed Supra and a well developed Skyline GTR, on track, and you'll realize that they are poles apart. The 2 WD car is probably a lot more fun, if ultimately slower. They didn't ban the GTR from UK national racing for no good reason :}

Thats a good point... Thats why I was asking about the traction. The supra is probably not the ideal car to go for that sort acceleration style response. AWD cars are probably much better suited! :D

Guest Phillw454
If you like RPM, thats nothing compared to Flavio's Supra at 10.5k rpm :D

:blink: 10.5??? thats mad!! makes my measly 7.5 seem poor now :(

Guest Phillw454

10.5k rpm, 345 width drag tyres and look at those marks on the road! Sounds awesome on lift off too.

:blink: yep that definatley doesnt happen in my supra!!

one mad car!!!! Love it though:d