The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated twin manifold?

flyin_scouseman

Hi fellas,

I'm thinking of getting uprated twins for my J-spec but i want to know if there is anyone out there who has any idea if there are suppliers or manufacturers of uprated steel Exhaust manifolds to match up with my hybrids.

Reason for an uprated manifold is obvious and i've done a search and come up with nothing.

Are there any aftermarket staino' manifolds available out there or do i have to get them fabricated and matched to my standard manifold and uprated(Hybrid turbos)? If so, who does the fabrication work?

Any help much welcome...

The only custom option I've seen for the stock (or hybrid) twin setup is the external wastegate mod, but thats pretty pointless.

Making up a tubular manifold for stock turbos has not been done to my knowledge, nor I doubt ever will be done. There's just no point.

Just for starters it would mean converting to a true twin (i.e. one manifold for turbo, 3 cylinders each). But then you're talking about a big twin style setup, just with tiny turbos.

The development and fabrication costs would be enormous.

Ok then, just what i've been told by a higher up knowledgable turbo company to get the best out of the Garrett(hybrid) GT ball bearing turbos that i'm looking at purchasing. I'm hoping to get the most out of my purchase as anyone would....

Hence a better tuned exhaust manifold to suit.

Surely there must be a better manifold out there????

Ok then, just what i've been told by a higher up knowledgable turbo company to get the best out of the Garrett(hybrid) GT ball bearing turbos that i'm looking at purchasing. I'm hoping to get the most out of my purchase as anyone would....

Hence a better tuned exhaust manifold to suit.

Surely there must be a better manifold out there????

Wait a minute, are they referring to Hybrid STOCK turbo's (i.e. stock shell with uprated internals), or a completely different turbo? If its a different turbo then thats a whole different ballgame - see 'Big twin conversion'

Okay, okay, so far as i know the units are a stage 3 replacement for the (standard)CT-20 turbos. The models are MD-315 with the following upgrades:

1, Ported wastegate

2, Uprated large poppet valve

3, Twin seal turbine modification

4, Cut back turbine blades

5, Uprated actuators

6, Modified compressor inlet duct

I mentioned that i wanted solid turbos as a basis while still looking pretty much stock under the bonnet(at a glance ;) ) and know i won't achieve much more than 500BHP but i want to see how far i can take the mod' as i don't want to go single yet.

I have owned my supe for less than a year yet, so i'm just playing at the moment...

All i need to know is if anybody has done this mod' and achieved better than expected results ie with an aftermarket manifold.

Thanks for the responses ;)

So, its a stock hybrid, marginal more peak power but slower spool and much less mid range performance. Unless you swap injectors and ECU, the power will be the same as the stock tubbies anyway (seeing they're already at 100% duty at 1.25bar). Same old story of some rip off garage who doesn't know what they're doing flogging crap to those who don't need it.

All i need to know is if anybody has done this mod' and achieved better than expected results ie with an aftermarket manifold.

Thanks for the responses ;)

No.

No one has used a tubbied manifold and the stock turbo's and (mandatory) housing, that’s simply ridiculous. It has never and will never be done.

Cheers Homer,

was going to do as you said with the ECU and injectors upgrade. If i went ahead and purchased the Tubbies. They would have set me back nearly £3000 then an extra £1000 for an ECU and then maybe about £400-£500 on injectors i think.

Hmmm, My head's done in and i want more power but don't want to be buying the wrong upgrades :(

Didn't want to go single cos' i like the power delivery of twin setup...

Back to the drawing board again i think...

Maybe just gonna get my turbos refurbed for the time being while i decide what i'm gonna do with the engine mods :( :( :(

Go single, you know you want too, Just get a custom turbo set up, to get the turbos to spool up as early as possible... You dont have to have a massive turbo to get a fast car... BHP figures mean nothing for everyday driving.... Good in the pub though eh? ;)

As Jody says, for the kind of money you were going to spend you could get a budget set-up that, OK may increase the lag by a little, but the car will give you a much bigger grin overall.

Turbo design has come on so much over the past decade or so, turbo sizes that in the past would have created unfeasible amounts of lag, are now at a stage where you would hardly notice the difference.

Didn't want to go single cos' i like the power delivery of twin setup...

Have you ever been in a Supra with a small single turbo? If not you should have a ride in one before you start shelling out lots money. They really are great fun and there's little to no lag really. They make boost by 3000rpm, so not much different to a UK spec or hybrid turbo'd Supra but with a much greater power potential.

lol cheers for the responses :thumbs: i am definately gonna give the hybrids a miss then. I am only looking at around the 500 Bhp figure but don't wanna be shelling out more than £5000 which includes ECU, tubby, injectors, manifold, wastegate etc.

Not quite sure if i want to start fecking about with the internals yet though(cams,rods pistons etc), hence the Bhp figure.

Guess i'm gonna have to get my car a health check first though(don't know if that's a good idea with smokey tubbies).

I am into the idea of getting single turbo as long as the power delivery is similar to my twins.

Thanks for the feedback :cool: .....

lol cheers for the responses :thumbs: i am definately gonna give the hybrids a miss then. I am only looking at around the 500 Bhp figure but don't wanna be shelling out more than £5000 which includes ECU, tubby, injectors, manifold, wastegate etc.

Not quite sure if i want to start fecking about with the internals yet though(cams,rods pistons etc), hence the Bhp figure.

Guess i'm gonna have to get my car a health check first though(don't know if that's a good idea with smokey tubbies).

I am into the idea of getting single turbo as long as the power delivery is similar to my twins.

Thanks for the feedback :cool: .....

I strongly suggest you get a ride in a single before commiting. The power delivery is completely different, but in a good way :D

Have a look at this for comparision (small single (T61) vs BPU TT), you can see the power on single single comes in much sooner and the torque builds even quicker - i.e. the 'shove it the back' is more pronounced than the 4k kick in the TT. The single is the blue lines, the green and red the TT.

T61 vs BPU.jpg

I did hybrids, and yes there was a little bit more poke, but not worth it. If you see the price of a small single kit from the USA (£2K) with the currect $ price, your mad to do the hybrids. A small single will leave it for dust.

You will also need a set of injectors (maybe £300 for PE drop in ones), upgrade fuel pump, and piggy back ECU (map ecu2 is cheap and effective £300 ish) with mapping at least, maybe even a clutch upgrade like centerforce dual friction (£450) etc. Dampener bypass line also about £80.

End of the day this way you'll have a big smile on your face, and the option to upgrade further in the future.

I;m tired and probably missed something, but thats most of it.