The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam belt

wile e coyote

Heard somewhere that if the cambelt breaks it will not damage the engine ,is this true and does it apply to the VVTI TT?

Tried to search but could not find anything

i would not even risk it....just get it changed mate

would you pay £200 ish for a cam belt or £1000s for new engine?

Heard somewhere that if the cambelt breaks it will not damage the engine ,is this true and does it apply to the VVTI TT?

Yes that's true.

Dont need changing yet but just asking
They need changing every five years regardless of mileage.

Yes that's true.

They need changing every five years regardless of mileage.

Regarding the Non-Interference......

I think this can vary from engine to engine, I went to my local "Supra" garage and asked them if the cambelt came off would it smash the engine or was it like a Fiat Uno where it wouldnt, he looked my enging number up in abook and said that it wasnt a Non-Interference engine so if the cambelt went it WOULD do damage. Mine is a 1996 pre facelift TT auto.

Does anyone know if this is correct or not???

In that case I cant see the point in changing the belt as a matter of course then.

When I buy a car its the first thing that I do, just in case it hasnt been done.However my car was imported in Sept 96, with 68k kms, It may have been changed , it may not have been. As it wont do any damage why fix it if it aint broke, the only reason anybody changes a cambelt is for peace of mine incase it goes and does big damage

It's wrong. Unless you have very high-lift aftermarket cams.

Plenty of folks have snapped 2JZ cambelts without damaging the pistons or valves.

The only variant there is a question mark over is the NA VVTi engine.

Not doubting your word on this but where did you get your information from , if what you are saying is correct and No damage will be done I think I will save myself a couple of hundered quid and leave it, however it it will damage the engine I will get it changed pronto

Not doubting your word on this but where did you get your information from

It says so on mkiv.com, Terry Saunders says so, Mig says so, Chris Wilson says so and people on here have actually had belts snap with out damaging owt.

It's good enough for me anyway :shrug:

It says so on mkiv.com, Terry Saunders says so, Mig says so, Chris Wilson says so and people on here have actually had belts snap with out damaging owt.

It's good enough for me anyway :shrug:

Thanks Jake,

perhaps the garage I went to was trying to scam me, he said some are okay sone aint, he took my engine number , went to his office and when he came back to me he said he had looked it up and my engine waould definatley sustain damage if the belt went...