The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot Release problem - my fix

Rory

I didn't realise til I did a search just now that lots of owners ( esp those of facelift cars ) have the same problem I did with the boot release. Pull the lever and it opens a little, but not enough ... if somebody holds the lever while u open boot its ok or you can use the key.

Well I took the panel at the back of the boot off today to have a look at the cable, and I thought maybe it had popped out of a wee plastic clip or something that gives it tension... didn't see any of those.

What I did do was tuck the cable under a bit of metal which comes down from the boot catch, it comes down about 2cm from the boot level. Just tucking the cable under there gave it the tension it needed to work properly.

Just thought I'd post up as some of you might want to try it.

cool. annoys me 2. How hard is it to get that back pannel off?

Dead easy. Pop off 4 plastic caps, under there are screws. Undo those and the plastic panel pulls off. Tuck the cable under that metal bit I described and let me know if it works !

HTH

It's not a problem as such - it is a newer design of latchmechanism and is supposed to be like that. All vvti's should be like it and it sounds like a handful of facelift non vvti's are the same.

I agree, it is a pain in the ass! Good fix.