The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How low is too low?

charlton

How low is too low for a daily driver? My Supe is roughly 4 inches off the floor (or at least the front bumper is) but I still think this is too high compared to some other Supes. I'm thinking of dropping it another inch but still need to be able to tackle some speed bumps - what do you think?

Also how can I tell if my brakes are J spec or UK spec?

Leave it as it is!! Is anyone really going to noticed an extra inch (with the exception of the wife):D .

Ask Alan999 what happens when your car is too low. It gets expensive.

Have you got a pic of your brakes. The j-spec ones have very small calipers. They are also a lumpy shape as opposed to smooth.

Pic would be best way!

H.

Alright mate..

My front is about 4in from the floor and clears all speed bumps, my mate who had a veilside on his supe years ago dropped his to just over 3in and smashed the front driving of a garage forecourt, got it fixed then caught one of the edges when trying to take a speed bump at a slight angle..

be carful mate. but i wouldn't think yours would show that much of a drop as its most visable at the top of the wheel in the arch, but yours is quite covered by your over fenders..

be carful mate. but i wouldn't think yours would show that much of a drop as its most visable at the top of the wheel in the arch, but yours is quite covered by your over fenders..

Its the gap between the wheels and arches at the front I want to fill/hide - although i think it would look a little nicer lower at the front

I think many would say mine is "too low" - tbh it can be hassle (and I might raise mine a little) but I don't use mine every day so I can live with it just about. For a daily practical driver going too low would be more hassle than it's worth

yours is too low for a daily driver!!! I remember seeing it at the Brighton meet - have pics of it too!

Not too fussed which ones I have, I need new pads and didn't want to get the wrong ones - sods law is that I'd get a set and find that I have the other brakes!

Just make sure you dont brake infront of me too sharply ;)

Note to self.. let Lee drive in front on saturday!!! :D

I'm on a stock bumper, on Eibachs and Bilsteins and boy does that front lip catch on neary everything unless I'm doing 5-8mph.

Far, far too low. I was hoping to get a Stillen or TS front, but I doubt I will be able to if it remains this dropped. :(

Mine was set on the minimum when I first had my coilovers fitted and it was a nightmare (with standard bumper!). I've raised it twice since (quite an unpleasant exercise when it's cold and dark) and I'd say mikey's got is spot on. Anything lower than about an inch below stock is just too low!

I'm on a stock bumper, on Eibachs and Bilsteins and boy does that front lip catch on neary everything unless I'm doing 5-8mph.

Far, far too low. I was hoping to get a Stillen or TS front, but I doubt I will be able to if it remains this dropped. :(

Im on bilsteins aswell mate dont know what spring are on mine though would like to find out but mines the same!

I can raise the front using the springs and dampers you have by machining and stuff. Not a huge job, but the camber will need re setting afterwards. I have to look after you, Jane has taken a fancy to you. "Who was that really nice young man with the Supra that had a ride around in the Skyline".....

I can raise the front using the springs and dampers you have by machining and stuff. Not a huge job, but the camber will need re setting afterwards. I have to look after you, Jane has taken a fancy to you. "Who was that really nice young man with the Supra that had a ride around in the Skyline".....

LOL. Great stuff Chris, looks like you do then! Give my best to Jane too, was great to meet her and she was very friendly. :) Although she did scare me a little, as she knows her way around the car more than me! Especially when I tried to help fit the wets to the Zeus and got the front and rear tyres mixed up! I felt a pratt!:rolleyes:

Believe it or not (seems not so long ago since I last had it done!), my next service is due in a few months time so might be an idea to book my car in with you in late July and get this sorted too. Not a major problem at the moment, just a bloody inconvenience at times, but if I do go for a new bumper/lip, then yes, please do Chris.

Cheers.

Greg

SORRY FOR THE SLIGHT THREAD HIJACK CHARLTON! :innocent:

If your going to drop it, 30mm is the maximum drop I would give it otherwise it will mess up your handling and rattle the fillings from your teeth, go back to a stock bumper and im sure you could drop it some more if you really wanted to....

Everything rattles anyway!! Especially the surf board on the back!!

SORRY FOR THE SLIGHT THREAD HIJACK CHARLTON! :innocent:

:hijack:

mine is 10 and 1/2 cm of the ground...lucky enough its my weekend car..ooothat sounds posh..lol i do have to be really carefull when going over speed humps...some i cant..now the mot is up i have to c if the car fits on the mot ramps!!!!

it was lowerd with tein susp when i got it from japan, but speed humps was fine untill i bought a Do-luck bumper