The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Group Visit To Lemans 2004?

wilfman

Having experienced this for the first time last month, I am definitely returning next year. After meeting up with a few other supe owners out there, we were keen to try and organise a mass visit next time. The French are nuts about the car and the amount of attention they get is unbelievable.:p

Whilst it may appear absurdly early to be asking, the event (especially group bookings for camping), fills up very quickly. Pricing will be dependant on length of visit, etc but as a rough guide:-

- 1 x Car

- Tunnel Crossing Weds AM, Mon PM

- 2 x Adults Camping + all weekend tickets.

Came to around £400 this year..

The date is the weekend of 12/13 June 2004. Anybody who has been to LeMans, can vouch what an fantastic experience it is. If we can pull in a good number of like minded supe owners then it should prove awesome.:p

If anyone is interested then email me ([email protected]). Some info I would find usefull would be:-

- Name + Contact Details

- Number of Cars + People going.

- Any preferred days of travel. Going on the Weds/Thus and coming the Mon is about right. However if time is an issue loads of spectators leave the UK late Fri, and return late Sun.

- Preferred channel crossing. Dover-Calais (Ferry/Tunnel?).

- Recommendations for LeMans campsite for those who've been.

I will then get some indicative pricing back from the agents. £50/car deposit will be needed later the year and the rest in March

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me and a mate have been two years running now and decided that we will go every year from now on. :cool:

This year there may be some others coming with us, so we've already got our own little "group booking" nightmare on our hands! Because of that I'll not join in with this one, but will definitely be interested in convoying down/back with you guys or at least meeting up at some point over the weekend :thumbs:

Trying to get people to commit to an event 9 months down the line is obviously difficult. But because of the events popularity, travel agents need to get some level of commitment now for group bookings.

Instead if I get in touch with the company and find out some rough costs, etc, people can then make their own arrangments on an individual basis. This sound OK?

Any preferences to Camping? At least we can all ask for the same campsite....

As for the Supra being safe, I would say that all of the official campsites are very safe, there's millions of quids worth of machinery there all weekend and never any trouble that I've seen/heard of.

Re which campsite to go for, I'd recommend the Houx Annexe, or failing that Houx. We've stayed in Houx Annexe both times we've been and its a fantastic atmosphere in there, mostly British and very close to the track and the "village".

Originally posted by Mark Ayling

Re which campsite to go for, I'd recommend the Houx Annexe, or failing that Houx. We've stayed in Houx Annexe both times we've been and its a fantastic atmosphere in there, mostly British and very close to the track and the "village".

Forgot to add that for those reasons these two are probably the most popular sites you can get, hence the need to book very early!

I'll be going, but I go in a group with a few other guys in our own little convoy! Houx annexe has allocated pitches with electricity etc - don't know how that would work if you're in a group because you probably couldn't all camp together. Maison Blanche is also good and near the Porsche curves which are a great place to watch the race from. The best thing to do is get someone to turn up early (i.e. on Thursday latest) and grab a big pitch for everyone else.

Then you need your Le Mans essentials - pocket radio, suncream and beer cooling technology! Paddling pool full of water works acceptably, just try not to let anyone decide they need to cool down in it...

lemans2003_1006.jpg

I'll phone the company in the morning and find out the camping options. Last year I used Bleu Sud and that was great, very close to the main entrance, no allocated spaces either... Brian and Angie Duff were in Interior Musee and we heard good things about that as well. So we have

- Blue Sud.

- Interior Mussee

- Houx/Houx Annexe (I'll check the status on allocated spaces, etc)

- Maison Blance.

Any other suggestions?

Right then, Booked myself + passenger to go next year. The company (Travel Destinations), cannot confirm pricing as yet (should be in the next few weeks), but will reserve your places and take a deposit once pricing is confirmed.

Karting Nord seems to be pretty good for camping, close to the track, good facilities, etc. They have about 150 camping spaces left.

Rough Pricing from this year can be found at http://www.lemansrace.com (Select Car Pricing). I will be heading out on the Weds AM tunnel and returning on the Monday.

Anyone interested phone Travel Destinations on 01707 329988. No club booking ref or anything, just ensure you ask for Karting Nord for camping.

If easiest I can edit the 1st post in the group and as people confirm, I will add them to the list. Sound OK?

Originally posted by Mark Ayling

Nah it doesn't, its a free for all in there - I think Houx has allocated pitches though.

Oh yeah, that's it. Always get those two mixed up! You're better off without allocated spaces I reckon. For those that haven't been before, the road between Maison Blanche and Blue round about A7 on that map is known as "spin it" straight. A big crowd gathers there and pretty much forces anyone going past in a rwd car to do burnouts. Good laugh to watch, but wouldn't want to drive down it in my car!

For tickets, try www.justtickets.co.uk. I'll have to find out where our usual bunch are planning on camping this year - not organised yet - but probably will be Maison Blanche.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going next year with some mates, one of which has a 996 TT which should make for an interesting drive down...! They usually park up in Camping Bleu, nice spot on the outside the track near the pits...Tickets were booked two weeks ago so look out for a RSP Supra with Blitz rims....Hope to see you all there.

Angie and myself are definately going next year.

This year we were camping in Beausejour campsite.(Infield, near Porsche Curves) As we didn't arrive until Friday morning, we were near the back of the campsite, but this worked out well for us. The ground was flatter there (good for the tent) and after 2am it was fairly quiet, so we managed to get a little sleep! There was also a free shuttle bus which took us near the pits. Bus leaves every 15mins.

I'm willing to try Houx Annexe, but I need someone to confirm that the ground there is ok for camping in a tent. Some of the "campsites" looked like the tents were just pitched on gravel!

Need to book up fairly soon, so if someone can tell me Houx is ok, I'd appreciate it.:thumbs: