The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement Clear Headlight Lens (Merged)

suprattgaz

***EDIT: These are now ready for sale, and are MOT legal for pre and post facelift headlights. See for sale section***

For all you Jap guys out there with plastic lights....

As you are well aware, the only thing that can look dated on the supra is the headlights. There is almost nothing out there to replace or upgrade, barr the uk/facelift lights.

I have been looking into making a similar insert as the Abflug headlight liners talked about of recent. I am quite handy with fibre-glass (made the bumper on mine at present!) and rekon I can easily make a similar component to fit in the light.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=86902&highlight=abflug

In doing so, I will also have to get new lenses manufactured. I am planning on getting them vacuum formed, and could knock out however many are needed. I know it is a bit early without pictures, but assume the lens and insert will look identical to the Abflug kit.

I have already bought and dissassembled a pair of jap lights, and am in the middle of designing the insert.

Who would be interested in

a) Abflug style kit, to include insert and lens?

b) Replacement lens?

I guess (and it's early!) £170-£200 for kit, £40-60 for replacement lenses.

If there is enough interest I will design with moulds in mind, if not i will just design my own lights without replicating ;)

p.s. lenses will be uk legal for facelift, but not pre due to pattern, BUT if you placed the old lens over it for MOT they would pass, like a pair of supra glasses[GRIN][/GRIN]!!! That or have a back-up pair ready for MOT.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked with Mawby this is ok?
He has now. :)

Jon may be offering a similar product to this in the future, which would prevent similar GBs from happening, but in the meantime we have agreed to let this GB continue if there is enough interest in it.

Right guys - I have been to the local vacuum formers and we have agreed these are simple to produce. I have made a mould for the lenses and we should be able to knock out as many as is required. They will be made of high impact acrylic. They will not be the same as any other lens on the market as I have tweeked the current design for better fitment.

I will have to make a mould just to do mine, so a larger run is just a formality.

I also mentioned the inner sections, and looks like we can do that in fiberglass, plastic or carbon fiber. Again these will be unique and I have tweeked to get a better fiment than I guess the Abflug (as you have to butcher the existing lenses).

I will have the replacement lenses ready in a couple of weeks, and the inner sections a bit later.

I have no prices for definite, and I might have to go through a trader as you can upset people on here by the looks of things.

I will get piccies up when complete, and they will be ready soon. I wouldn't mind a rough number so as I can order materials. I guess just add a reply if interested.

GZAEROJON has something similar in the pipeline - don't know details but thought it is right to mention it. Competition never did anyone any harm, right?!;)

definately interested in the abflug style lights depending on final finish. just a quick q though, what would you do about the little sidelights in the jspec headlights? would like to see it in carbon fibre insert too :) and will they be on an exchange basis?

I am now in the position to run off a batch of clear high impact acrylic headlight lenses. They replace the exisiting lens for those that are yellow or cracked.

A pair will be £75, but the more people that want one the cheeper the price (set-up costs of machine/no. of people). I need a number of people wanting these as a guide for how many to make. Catch 22 as i will have no piccies until run is done, and I know people will want to see them.

Only a rough guide of numbers, I am having a pair whatever as i am going to produce an insert like the Abflug lights (not the same as, my own design). That will be available pretty soon (3 weeks?!).

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Not sure if the lens will be UK legal yet, without fitting and trying I'm not sure as there is no scatter patern infront of the main beam on std. lens?!

so these are completely clear lenses, no lines to scatter the beam or anything else? And made out of plastic strong enough to take a stone hit at 80mph?

I have a set of j-specs in my garage that Im due to pull apart and refurb so I may be interested in the lenses, but I need to know they will stand up to years of abuse.

JB

Guest gzaerojon

the only legal problem you might have on these is the high beam pattern, so these might not be any good for pre facelift lights, but ok for facelifts as the pattern is on the reflector

Guest gzaerojon
Looking at pre-facelift there is a pattern set in the inner lens. Without fitting and taking to MOT centre I don't really know. The Abflug lights must have the same issue - anyone tried them yet?:search:

i've just finnished some abflugs and i did have to use facelifts for that reason.