The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Breaks and turbo timers

hoff

Hey all. A couple of things bout my J-spec 1994 supe. First off if I want to put on uk spec breaks and pads can I just buy em and fit em? Or do I have to do some work to get them to fit. And second (been meaning to ask this for a while), when I bought her there was a turbo timer fitted Surely this is pointless on a N/A? I keep it switched off.

Cheers.

UK brakes are fitted as a direct replacement to the stock JSPEC Callipers and discs but with one exception.

The JSpec discs are affectively housed in an outer casing which has a lip that encroaches around the side of the JSpec disc. The UK discs are 30mm or so bigger so won't fit inside the housing. Th housing lip can either be cut off (easy to do) or the housing can be completely removed (time consuming).

Then its just a case of fitting, bleeding and off you go!

EDIT: Oh yes - check that the bigger UK Callipers will fit inside your rims as they are much bigger

All I know at the moment is that they're 17s but i dont know how wide, Ill have to check 2mo. Im thinking of new wheels anyway, how wide do you recomend. And presumably if your asking cause of the calipers I would need to buy them also. Basically a fair wad needed for a full uk kit then?

Hey all. A couple of things bout my J-spec 1994 supe. First off if I want to put on uk spec breaks and pads can I just buy em and fit em? Or do I have to do some work to get them to fit. And second (been meaning to ask this for a while), when I bought her there was a turbo timer fitted Surely this is pointless on a N/A? I keep it switched off.

Cheers.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67071

All I know at the moment is that they're 17s but i dont know how wide, Ill have to check 2mo. Im thinking of new wheels anyway, how wide do you recomend. And presumably if your asking cause of the calipers I would need to buy them also. Basically a fair wad needed for a full uk kit then?

If I was going to use and 17"s I would use the stock TT wheels. These clear the UK brakes.

As for UK brakes... budget on about a grand...

You can try a breakers for the brakes but they are quite rare. Alternatively I would try either http://www.toyotaworld.com or import pimp (nic) on here. You will also need some discs, stock are best. As for pads, well Chris wilson does a nice set of fast road pads, which worked very well on mine. Finally if you are going to take the brakes off, put goodridge lines on and get decent fluid (motul or castrol chris wilson has these too AFAIK) budget on spending about a grand excluding labour, though its not too hard a DIY job which could be done in about 4 hours but dont muck about with safety critical things if you arent sure what you are doing.#

*edit* did i get my breaks and brakes right martin?*

I thought as much. A bit steep at the mo. Think I'll have to get some J-spec for now but might get the goodridge lines on.

As for the turbo timer, i think the last owner either wanted to make people go "why the hell is his car still running" or "ooh a tt".

I think very few 17" wheels fit..........some volks and blitz ones spring to mind as well as the obvious stock 17's

A good quality pad is all you need IMO (new fluid too if its old), Endless seem to be getting some good press recently and will i think be my next set.

They can transform the braking capabilities of the j-specs........