The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Almost another one biting the dust

Millsy

Can't believe how stupid some people can be. Was on the A13 near Benfleet this morning, saw a Yaris looking to go right from a junction on my left. She's already encroached into the yellow cross-hatched box a little. Anyway, get closer and I can see she hasn't looked to her right once, she's just looking to her left to see when it's clear. Get even closer and I'm thinking she's bound to look my way in a minute and not move. But then without looking she just starts pulling out! Slammed on my brakes and tried to swerve but she just kept coming. And ended up going into me.

So I pull over, see that my offside headlight, offside wing, front bumper and bonnet are properly screwed. Obviously quite angry so get out and she's just sat there crying. Some bloke who heard the accident helped me push HER car out of the road. She gets out and we exchange details, I say 'Obviously I'm going to have to claim off your insurance as it was your fault' she says 'It wasn't my fault... I was trying to get out of the junction!'

Please put my mind at rest and tell me this woman hasn't got a leg to stand on! She even had the cheek to say I must have been speeding ... likely! I'm about 250m from a roundabout with a 300bhp rear wheel drive car in the sodding wet. How could I be speeding unless I'm a maniac - which my driving license suggests is not the case.

Sorry about the rant, just annoyed at this woman and the fact my car is now screwed, yet she thinks it's not her fault!

Did you get any witnesses or photographes? Otherwise it could turn into a your word against hers type thing. I had the exact same thing happen when i was on a bike, but the bloke held his hands up and admitted fault.

I can imagine your frustration :(

Cheers guys. Got some pics of the junction but unfortunately no witnesses stopped - apart from a workman who heard it and saw the aftermath. Fortunately there are no lights or anything - just straight road. Will post a pic of the damage and you can see that where she hit was actually just to the side in front of the front wheel so that's got to help my case I hope.

which junction in benfleet was it? its a complete bitch around there.

would have thought as you are coming from the right, you have the right of way, there for its her fault.

When you come off the Saddlers Farm roundabout(s) and continue on A13 and there's sort of two lanes although it's too narrow for two lanes really.

Sorry to hear this man. I always look at drivers face's if they are waiting to pull of out side-streets/junctions. If I havent seen them looking yet I slow right down and its saved me a couple of things.

In future if it happens again when you see them looking the other way you can predict what was coming. It almost sounds like in your story that you knew she wasnt gonna look your way?

Really sorry to hear this mate.

I've always thought that the person going straight had the right of way and any car wanting to turn onto or across had to wait patiently.

She probably thought she could pull out as it was a boxed off area :rolleyes:

Good luck getting it sorted dude.

On the plus side, if it's getting repaired by an insurance approved bodyshop and they need to replace the headlight - being a Jap spec will it mean they'll have to put a nice new UK spec one in - then replace the other one too maybe as otherwise the beams would be MOT failure? Just a thought.

Update - the girls dad just phones me and says she is still saying it isn't her fault. Apparently as they live there 'you have to creep into the box and you saw my daughter doing that and you didn't let her out'.

Surely it's not my place to have to let her out? And surely her admitting she was sitting in a cross hatched box is going to go against her.

Yes, she is breaking the law, her dad is trying it on. Have you spoke to the police? Maybe you should tell the father to do the right thing or you will see about getting her prosecuted for non due care and attention. I would guess that would be the offence for sitting in a yellow box.

Edit. And by breaking to let people out in traffic you run the risk of being arse ended, and are not obliged to do so.

Update - the girls dad just phones me and says she is still saying it isn't her fault. Apparently as they live there 'you have to creep into the box and you saw my daughter doing that and you didn't let her out'.

Surely it's not my place to have to let her out? And surely her admitting she was sitting in a cross hatched box is going to go against her.

Pass the info on to your insurance company and let them deal with it. These people are clearly a dangerous level of stupid.

Guest mattsupra1
Sorry to hear this man. I always look at drivers face's if they are waiting to pull of out side-streets/junctions. If I havent seen them looking yet I slow right down and its saved me a couple of things.

i do this all the time, now i can almost read minds, i watch people looking at me, but the idiots always think "il wait till he gets a bit closer then il pull out"

or

"that ones coming at me with speed, il pull out on it"

i hate junctions and people that cant use them

anways lol, if she pulled out the junction its her fault as she needs to give way to traffic? sorry to hear about it though

Guest mattsupra1

when your taught to drive they never teach you to let people out as its dangerous, hes trying it on, id be carefull

years ago a car was double parked i was in a row of traffic going around the said car, then without warning the car reversed going into my door with the corner of her car, her boyfriend got out all in my face asking what i was playing at, i got the insurance details and then he left in a hurry, luckily i wrote down the registration plate as they drove off, the details they gave were fake but like i said i got the reg, at first they denied it ever happend, then after a year, yes a year! of it going through insurance they said i had drove into them.

my insurance company them wrote to me asking if i would take blame as they said it was me, of course i gave them a gobfull and reminded them i had been given false details, the crash had been denied and now they have changed their mind im the one that was lying? it took another year and a half before it was sorted, the insurance company asked for 50/50 blame but i refused, even though the evidence may be blatant to whos fault it was insurance companies arnt always that bright, i mean, what stunt would i need to of been doing to smash my door in and her corner of the bumper for me to be in the blame

Feel for you mate, this happened to me last month but it was dry and I managed to throw the car into the junction the stupid cow came out of.

Sounds like they're trying it on, she was at a give way not you.

Too many stupid thick idiots on the roads makes me feckin sooo angry at times.