The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Saga is nearing its completion...I hope....

Guest StevenSheen

Guest StevenSheen

Those of you that remember my problems with regards the supra I bought from GT-Cars. When I last posted I had just got the car back from TDI in Essex after they had informed me the over heating the car was suffering from was either the Head Gasket or the heater matrix (having already replaced the viscious fan unit) and the car went instead to Phoenix after your recommendations he has had the car for 15 days now and has uncovered the real reason for the overheating...a radiator....so not as severe a problem as first thought.

I am collecting the car on Saturday.

The only other problem is the car pinks under full boost, Mark is not certain of the cause yet...he thinks it may be caused by a conflict with the HKS F-con and the stock ecu as there were no ECU warning lights lighting up on ignition...the bulb had been removed and it was displaying an impossible fault (mark claims the fault was an issue which would cause the car not to start, so belives the reading may be caused by the potential conflict) or it might just be the issue of a remap that I was made aware of by the previous owner(not GT-cars)

Going to let the remarkably friendly guys and gals at Turbo fit have a look at it when I pick it up...hopefully with the radiator and the remap I can finally get to work on tidying her up...the flat is covered in cosmetic bits for her now...UK headlights, Alloy dash trim clear repeaters etc etc....

Might actually be able to forget about the wonderful public transport system soon.....I hope...

So they've sorted your problems but you getting detonation underfull boost? which is a bit dangerous sombody correct me if im wrong that "pinking" is just another word for Pre ignition or Detonation?

I would be getting them to try sort that out too if it wasnt doing it before?

Guest StevenSheen

The pinking has always been there under full throttle, Mark at phoenix cant remap ecu's so gonna take it to Turbofit and let them look at it and sort the map out.

Guest StevenSheen

Well got the car back from Mark at phoenix late yesterday afternoon and he has indeed finally cured the over heating problem it was indeed the radiator, he also flushed the heater matrix 2 times as well so thats now working perfectly...glad I didnt leave it with TDI so they could fix the HG and then replace the heater matrix as was their original plan or else 3k would have been spent and the over heating would have still persisted...mark got it right first time for £670 including a full service, brand new radiator, new thermostat, and collection via transporter...VERY IMPRESSED!!!

Just needs the remap now I hope to stop the pinking...and although TDI offered to map it for me and their on my doorstep Im driving to milton keynes to let Dan at Turbofit sort it instead...Wouldnt touch TDI with a barge pole!!!!!

To be honest, that's a hell of a damning case for TDI.

I mean, I'm just an enthusiast, and I was saying to get the coolant system pressure tested, which would highlight the rad as the issue. I mean it's the cheapest simplest thing to do to start off with. I certainly wouldn't (and didn't ;) ) jump to the conclusion that it's the headgasket.

Anyway, glad it's all sorted now.

Guest StevenSheen

Yeah I agree about TDI...they said they would start on the head gasket and then if it did not resolve the issue they would replace the heater matrix.... They never even mentioned the rad, although they said they had flushed it out and charged me for the fresh coolant etc....they also said the viscious fan was in need of replacing because at idle it was possible to stop it with a cloth round your hand...Im told by several other mechanics it should be possible to stop it at idle so seems that was £498.00 poorly spent...and the price for their expertise £94.00 an hour!!!! I WILL NEVER EVER there again, Phoenix and Turbofit for me in future!

Guest StevenSheen

Oh by the way when Mark at Phonenix flushed the radiator again he said it was full of crap so im not sure TDI even flushed the thing.....

Guest StevenSheen

it also included flushing the rad and the new coolant...and an hour of diagnosis after which they decided the overheating was the fan lol....useless place....how they survive I have no idea...

Guest StevenSheen

Yep Mark gets a serious thumbs up from me...when will garages learn that ripping people off ultimatley leads to terrible word of mouth and less business...

Look forward to meeting the guys and gals at Turbofit on Wednesday as well where hopefully the remap will fix the pinking... Then Monday she goes in for her new front end V-side(I know, I know but I like it) bumper and UK spec headlights and their also respraying the blade on the read spoiler as the carbon look has suffered from some sun stroke.....hopefully in 10 days the car will be as I originally envisaged her...cant wait ;)

Guest StevenSheen

Well after its visit to turbofit where they advised I just switched back to the stock ECU instead of the F-con its driving like a dream....kicking out 360bhp so not bad and 460lbs of torque...according to the readouts at least, Dan has suggested something that would allow me to increase the boost above 1bar but for now it seems plenty quick enough!

The only things noted by Dan at Turbofits very through eye were worn out rear shocks and squeeky rear discs and pads so gonna get them all sorted at the end of the month as well...at this rate I will have a new car by the end of it...not a bad thing I guess.:)

Monday it goes into the bodyshop to have its UK spec headlights and V-side front bumper fitted,I know the V-side kit is a bit brash, but the Supra isnt exactly subtle and its never gonna be as svelte as an SL55 so may as well brash it up ;)....however I heard some vicky pollard look alike shout out in the B&Q carpark today "with a car like that he must have a small penis"...in response I yelled back "dont believe everything your husband tells you love"!

Once the front end and the lights are fitted, their spraying the calipers Im thinking Silver as thats the general colour theme of the car and getting them to spray the centre blade on the spoiler as the carbon as faded in the sun....gonna get them to debadge it and take the hideous "top fuel" stickers off of it.

Once thats done will stick some before and after picks of it up, before getting Im surprised how well everything has come together, only took 3.5k to get it running and looking perfect lol!

Guest Nicholas

ahhhh so it was your car Dan did after mine :) Were you at Turbo fit Steven? I think I just saw your car, auto, silver veilside rear wing?