The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do I change the Speedo?

R3DG3CKO ROB

Hi guys

I've been ignoring this rather annoying problem since I bought the car...

The car is a Jap import and as such the speedo reads up to 180km / 112mph but the car has been de-limited. The speedo mis-reads by roughly 5mph (checked it with GPS) which I've grown to live with... However I've now had the needle go past 112mph... past the end of the dial and all the way back to the wrong side of the start pin...

Question is... Do I need to change the whole speedo, or is there something else I can do? I've read threads about changing the dials and using gps to put the needle on at 30 etc... but given that I've had the needle go all the way back round to 0, would this work?

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Rob

Easiest option wuld be to buy a complete set of clocks with the 180KPH face.... The 110 face was used to get the car to read miles without any mods....

The car would have started life with the 180KPH clocks you need... Ask Jezzy

Then it would need the odometer chipping to mph so the 180 kph clock would actually be mph

Easiest option wuld be to buy a complete set of clocks with the 180KPH face.... The 110 face was used to get the car to read miles without any mods....

The car would have started life with the 180KPH clocks you need... Ask Jezzy

Mine are the 180km ones - equivelent to 110 mph...

When everyone says clocks they mean the whole unit? Rev Counter, Fuel guage and speedo, etc? How expensive is that unit?

You wouldnt need to replace the whole unit I shouldnt think. I think what they were referring to is the dials only, but we have established that you have the 180kmph ones so when converted you don't really need to change them as it clocks up in miles after (mine at the moment is the km dial but reads in mph). maybe a faulty top speed delimiter?

There's some bad advice in this thread.

All you need to do is fit a Thor DSC and change the letters 'KM/H' to 'MPH' on the speedo dial with a sticker or somesuch.

ps,

as a bonus you will also be able to make your speedo spot-on accurate with a Thor DSC because they are adjustable.

Problem with just changing the dial faces is that if I was to switch from a 112mph speedo to a 180mph is that my needle would still continue round to the wrong side of zero agin? If I just change the dial face it'll be completey wrong???

Surely it must need re-calibrating somehow (or direct replacement of the whole unit)

I'm confused :-(

Right. Ignor the MPH reading, its wrong now you have a speedo converter. Just read the KPH reading as this is now the MPH reading. If not something is bust I would imagine! Maybe you might have to shell out for a new one. The Thor delimator and converter chip is meant to be the best.

Right. Ignor the MPH reading, its wrong now you have a speedo converter. Just read the KPH reading as this is now the MPH reading. If not something is bust I would imagine! Maybe you might have to shell out for a new one. The Thor delimator and converter chip is meant to be the best.
No mate. Nothing is bust, the MPH isn't wrong, he doesn't have a speedo converter.

He needs a DSC and either a stock 180kp/h speedo face or a new 180mph face.

I have just spoke to him on the phone a little while ago and think he is now on the right track :) I think his speedo dial is not a stock one though - as it shows the speed in KM and MPH im guessing its an aftermarket one or something.

I have just spoke to him on the phone a little while ago and think he is now on the right track :) I think his speedo dial is not a stock one though - as it shows the speed in KM and MPH im guessing its an aftermarket one or something.
Good.

Yeah his speedo dial is one of those crappy 110mph ones with the km/h on the inside, so the speedo still only goes up to 180kph it's just got the mph equivalent speeds printed on the face as well.

Yep, I either need to find someone locally to get the converter fitted and hope they can work out what's going on or pop over to Thor and let the guys there replace the whole lot with a more reliable installation.

Option B is sounding like a plan :) (as soon as I've saved up the pennies that is) I was planning on getting a glo-dial kit anyway so I'll prob try and get it all done at the same time...

Thanks for all your advice...