PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying a supra i have seen

benny boy
26-02-07, 19:21
Firstly hello everyone,
Ive been reading this site for a long time but have only just registered.

I need some advise about buying a supra. i have always wanted a uk spec model and have been looking for a while.

Yesterday i drove past one for sale on a garage forcourt. 7995 in black. 1997 r -reg,

i thought that was strange being an r-reg, but there was no one there to talk to. but when i spoke to the guy this morning, he said it was an import TT. It had been fitted with uk spec bonnet, lights front and back, it had the standard 17" alloys, it had cloth front seats and leather rear seats which i thought was strange. had the rear wing.

he said its done 124k km which i reckon is about 77K miles. clifford alarm, not too much service history. it was auto.

trying to think now. it had electric adjustable heated seats, electric windows and mirrows, air con, etc.
traction control and cruise control

does this sound like a good price for the car?

i think if it was a uk car it would be a good price, but i haven't been looking at imports so i'm not too sure.

any advice on this car would be much appreciated.

thanks

ben

Ian W
26-02-07, 19:24
sounds like an ok price from a dealer mate.

i would clarify the registration and model if i were you. if it's a 97 then it should have facelift lights (wouldn't be sure about why he'd change the rears to pre-facelifted versions), clear front indicators, no front wing indicators, side markers on the bumpers and five dials on the dash board as opposed to three.

benny boy
26-02-07, 19:43
i took some photos of it to remember certain details, condition etc, but i don't know how to post them,

can i e-mail them to someone to put up on this thread, to give you a better idea of what i saw. you might be able to help me identify the model.

Rayman
26-02-07, 19:44
go to imageshack.com and upload each of them, its fairly simple, then post the link it creates in here!

Rayman
26-02-07, 19:45
http://imageshack.us/

Click here, then click browse, then find your pic file on your pc and then clikc host it.

Jake
26-02-07, 19:48
I've never seen heated cloth seats in a Supra.

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:07
Just doing it now, looks like an R reg Uk spec!
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/5078/image014ly4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

benny boy
26-02-07, 20:08
thats what is confussing me.

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:09
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2051/image016rm0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:10
Any more photo's could just be a import thats been Uk'd so to speak!

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:10
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8523/image015kx6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ian W
26-02-07, 20:11
looks UK spec to me too.

any interior pics? a VIN number would tell you for definite wouldn't it?

DaveK
26-02-07, 20:12
I didn't think UK cars came with cloth front seats - I thought all UK cars were leather?

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:14
I thought all 1997 supra's where facelift? V confusing! Im presuming its an import.

Ian W
26-02-07, 20:15
but it would have had to go through a bit of a change if it was an import. a 97 import should also be face-lifted shouldn't it?

that's one hell of a change to make it look like a UK spec.

juanchan
26-02-07, 20:16
There was a thread recently about the newest UK Supra, and someone said that they had seen a genuine R-reg UK car. It was made in 96 but not registered until 97. This could be another, because it does look like a UK-car from those photos!

Edit: Found the link...http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100575

Scooter
26-02-07, 20:17
I didn't think UK cars came with cloth front seats - I thought all UK cars were leather?

true but like Jake said no J-specs had heated seats either.....

..........theres something odd about this one IMO, not necessarily bad but somethings strange.....

I'd look in the drivers side rear brake air vent/duct to check for the rear diff cooler.......i really can't see anyone going to the effort of putting one of these on a J-spec car.........

Homer
26-02-07, 20:17
Very odd. From the outside that looks like a virtually stock UK spec:

- UK spec glass lights
- UK spec rear lights
- wing indicators
- bonnet scopp
- bonnet dildos
- UK rear bumper

However it should have a beige carpet and beige leather front and rear seats. It should also be pre-97.

Any shots of the brakes, dashboard or ideally the VIN plate?

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:18
Date of Liability 01 04 2007
Date of First Registration 25 01 2001
Year of Manufacture 1997
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3000CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLACK
Vehicle Type Approval
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate 96.25
12 Months Rate 175.00

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:18
must be import eh! Thats been Uk'd very odd!

DaveK
26-02-07, 20:21
I guess it's a car where "no expense spared" might actually be true.

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:22
Weird how someone would go to the lengths of fitting the uk rear bumper etc

benny boy
26-02-07, 20:27
what does all this mean? now i'm really confussed?

so which model is it?
it did have black leater rear seats and black/grey cloth front seats.

Rayman
26-02-07, 20:30
what does all this mean? now i'm really confussed?

so which model is it?
it did have black leater rear seats and black/grey cloth front seats.

The seats would indicate its an import, thats normal to see rear in leather and front in cloth.
The dvla reg check also indicates its an import as the guy said to you, also if the clocks are in km's its onbviously an import.

You could do with getting some more pics of interior and engine bay.

benny boy
26-02-07, 20:40
is there anyone local that would be prepared to have a look at it with me? its near melksham / devizes.

Homer
26-02-07, 20:45
In short it could mean a few things:

1) 97 import with the entire exterior converted to UK spec (I would question why? - accident?)
2) UK Spec wrongly registered, with interior replaced
3) It's been ringed/nicked at some point in it life

Get a pic of the VIN plate and /or note down ALL details from it, this can be decoded on here to tell you exactly what it is (assuming it's not option 3 above)

mk47
26-02-07, 21:10
Also check the brakes wether they are UK or not.

benny boy
26-02-07, 21:50
juanchan's post at the top of this page has a link on it.
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100575
scooter posts a link half way down the treat to trowbridge 4x4 centre. its the same car isn't it.

mr lover
26-02-07, 21:57
i will pop over with you to take a look, i am in chippenham so not a problem

Homer
26-02-07, 22:00
juanchan's post at the top of this page has a link on it.
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100575
scooter posts a link half way down the treat to trowbridge 4x4 centre. its the same car isn't it.

It sure looks like the same car. UK exterior, with import interior.

Get that VIN plate ;)

EDIT - Nice one Gary :)

benny boy
26-02-07, 22:14
cheers, mr lover, i'm in Box.

you fancy going to see it sometime this weekend? i finish work at 1 on friday, free anytime after that.

mr lover
26-02-07, 22:17
no problem, can go friday afternoon if you want, big meet on saturday :)

benny boy
26-02-07, 22:18
whats happening on saturday?

mr lover
26-02-07, 22:20
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=95512

CJ
26-02-07, 22:35
This is a bit of a strange one.

The car started out as a red model and then had a colour change. It had a recorded mileage of 105,000 in 2002 so the latest mileage figure doesn't stack up. It has also had 7 previous owners.

It is not showing as accident recorded or stolen and says manufactured in 1997 and not an import - but that also could be a mistake as the DVLA have been known to make mistakes.

I personally would not go for this as there are too many ambiguities.

Homer
26-02-07, 22:41
This is a bit of a strange one.

The car started out as a red model and then had a colour change. It had a recorded mileage of 105,000 in 2002 so the latest mileage figure doesn't stack up. It has also had 7 previous owners.

It is not showing as accident recorded or stolen and says manufactured in 1997 and not an import - but that also could be a mistake as the DVLA have been known to make mistakes.

I personally would not go for this as there are too many ambiguities.

CJ has the background as always, good of you to post up Col :thumbs:

If Gary still wants to go and check it out at the weekend the paint problem should show up right away (pull some trim Gary ;) ), plus the VIN details will clearly show the paint code, year of manufacture, spec, etc.

Gary, if you want to do a VIN check while you're there give me a call.

Supragaz
27-02-07, 07:12
All sounds a bit Iffy to me and thats a very cheap price for an R Reg TT from a Trader :sly:

:Popcorn:

Jurgen-Jm-Imports
27-02-07, 10:14
:run:

dibbleyuk
27-02-07, 12:22
intrested to see the out come of this :) quite strange!

lust2luv
27-02-07, 12:55
So it's a red j-spec that had damage to front and rear of car (hit up the rear in queue and impacted car in front?) and was repaired with UK parts and resprayed black at the same time? Hence the lowish price.

Odometer states km, but is probably clocking up miles.

:looney:

Bobbeh
27-02-07, 14:45
:lol: I wonder if the dildos actually work.

lust2luv
27-02-07, 14:54
Was wondering that myself. Doubt they'd bother connecting them up if it is a repair job. Worth testing.

:looney:

benny boy
27-02-07, 15:30
i've just spoken to the chap, and arranged to go and see it on friday. he hasn't had the car for long and doesn't know anything about its history. the only service history is at 100km (29/11/2001) with service and cambelt change.

chassis number is: jza 8000 78 929
engine number is: 1jz 4532

the V5 just names it as a Toyota Supra.

can anything be identifed from this?

CJ
27-02-07, 15:43
...can anything be identifed from this?

Not really but from many of the previous posts, I can identify that it is a car I would not touch with the proverbial bargepole!

But hey, it's cheap and a bargain eh? :rolleyes:

benny boy
02-03-07, 17:35
ok, i've just been to see the car with Gary, (mr Lover)

Its got big brakes, wheels and all the uk bodywork and badges, its got the small rad in the drivers side rear wheel vent, its dildos work. theres heated seat switchs but the seats don't heat, they are cloth. theres a factory fitted rear fog switch that works the uk spec reak lights.

its got a uk spec engine, the casting has a raised bit on the top of the inlet to one side, not in the centre. all the writing on the sunvisors etc is in english,

the vin plate numbers are:

E-JZA80AJPVF
2JZ GTE
JZA800078929
1JZ 4532
COLOR 202
TRIM LH40
A340EA01A
A22

The V5 does not mention import or date of manufacte.

there is no sign of it being any other color anywhere, and theres no signs of bent metal behind the bumpers.

Now what do you reckon?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks gary for you time and help.

Big Ads
02-03-07, 17:50
Country E = Japan
Body J = Aerotop
Gearbox P = 4-speed automatic
Grade V = SZ or RZS
Engine F = EFI & DOHC
2JZ = Twin cam 24 valve inline 6
GTE = Twin turbo
Transmission
A340E = 4-speed auto
Final drive
A = 138mm ring gear
01 = 4.083:1 ratio
A = Standard (non LSD)
Production date = April-97
Colour 202 = Black

Thats what the VIN says sorry for the poor lay out. Not sure about the Trim tho

mr lover
02-03-07, 17:50
ok, i've just been to see the car with Gary, (mr Lover)

Its got big brakes, wheels and all the uk bodywork and badges, its got the small rad in the drivers side rear wheel vent, its dildos work. theres heated seat switchs but the seats don't heat, they are cloth. theres a factory fitted rear fog switch that works the uk spec reak lights.

its got a uk spec engine, the casting has a raised bit on the top of the inlet to one side, not in the centre. all the writing on the sunvisors etc is in english,

the vin plate numbers are:

E-JZA80AJPVF
2JZ GTE
JZA800078929
1JZ 4532
COLOR 202
TRIM LH40
A340EA01A
A22

The V5 does not mention import or date of manufacte.

there is no sign of it being any other color anywhere, and theres no signs of bent metal behind the bumpers.

Now what do you reckon?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks gary for you time and help.

that model code is for an aerotop ?????????????

Big Ads
02-03-07, 17:51
that model code is for an aerotop ?????????????

:blink: :blink:
Ouch!

Big Ads
02-03-07, 17:55
Trim Codes

FD12 = Gray Cloth (86.5)
FD32 = Red Cloth (1986.5)
FD82 = Dark Blue Cloth (87)
FJ12 - Gray Cloth (90)
FX21 = Black Cloth (82-83)
FX81 = Blue Cloth (84)
FW81 = Light Blue Cloth (82 L-Type)
GL36 = Maroon Leather(85)
GL81 = Dark Blue Cloth (82-83 L-Type)
GR26 = Gray Cloth (84)
GR36 = Maroon Cloth (85)
GR86 = Blue Cloth (85)
GQ86 = Blue Cloth (85 L-Type)
HB85 = Blue Cloth (81)
LB12 = Gray Leather (87)
LD15 = Shadow Gray Leather (92)
LF21 = Black Leather (83 L-Type)
LG24 = Gray Leather (85-86)
LG26 = Gray Leather (85)
LG36 = Maroon Leather (85-86)
LG86 = Blue Leather (85-86)
LJ81 = Blue Leather (79)
YS34 = Maroon Cloth (84)
YS84 = Light Blue Cloth (84 Performance)
YW41 = Tan Cloth (79)
YW45 = Tan Cloth (80)
YW85 = Blue Cloth (80)

I thought this covered all trims??

mr lover
02-03-07, 18:00
E-JZA80AJPVF

this model no. is for an na aerotop, something very wrong here :shock:

mr lover
02-03-07, 18:07
this is very weird, the car is an original black car has had some work done but definatley started life as a black car, also the engine, i am positive is a uk engine inlet manifold and throttle body are not j spec, are there any other obvious differences? the dildos work, the rear fog switch is the factory switch on the dash, switches for heated seats, all the labels in the car, sunvisor etc are english spec, you cannot find any jap writing anywhere ? BUT the ode states km and the speedo face only goes up to 110

Big Ads
02-03-07, 18:08
So a UK car with Jap Vin plate??? and Jap odo??

mr lover
02-03-07, 18:10
and interior

clarkmagpie
02-03-07, 18:24
think i would leave this one well alone!

Homer
02-03-07, 18:31
E-JZA80AJPVF

this model no. is for an na aerotop, something very wrong here :shock:

Its certainly very suspicous, either someone has gone to extraordinary lengths to make a facelift RZ look like a UK spec, or a UK car has been ringed.

Don't supose you checked the date stamp on the seatbelt tags (always good to verify the cars)?

CJ
02-03-07, 18:40
Regardless of whether the car looks as if it was always black, the HPI check says it has had a colour change from red. That, and all the other anomolies would have me running away from this one.

Graham S
02-03-07, 18:51
Did it have the headlight level adjusters?

Now thats a fair bit of work to get fitted to a J spec..

benny boy
02-03-07, 18:56
yes it had head light adjusters

Graham S
02-03-07, 18:59
Bloody hell!
Did they work?

Also someone correct me if i'm wrong but the UK model chassis numbers are all 17 digits and start JT compaired to J-spec JZ

benny boy
02-03-07, 19:02
so what is the process? if it is a uk car that has been ringed with a jap model, and the vin plate has been stamped accordingly so that the engine and the chassis numbers add up to the vehicle, but the vin is a N/A aero somewhere in japan?, the interior is changed a bit to fool the public. what then? who owns it? is it hpi clear? at some point it must get re registered taking all this into account or cubed?

Homer
02-03-07, 19:12
so what is the process? if it is a uk car that has been ringed with a jap model, and the vin plate has been stamped accordingly so that the engine and the chassis numbers add up to the vehicle, but the vin is a N/A aero somewhere in japan?, the interior is changed a bit to fool the public. what then? who owns it? is it hpi clear? at some point it must get re registered taking all this into account or cubed?

The VIN plate says its an NA Aero, which it is not, therefore there is only one conculsion that can be reached: The VIN plate does not belong to the car.

Now this could be for several reasons, none of which will make the car legitimate. The most likely thing is the car is ringed (stolen UK spec with genuine Jap VIN plate and reg details). Why was the interior kept? Who knows, maybe it got trashed or sold seperatly?

What does the dealer have to say?

Graham S
02-03-07, 19:21
And does the VIN plate match the number stamped onto the body?

JustGav
02-03-07, 19:41
Check the boot... Look for the brackets where the aerotop lid would clip into. The clips can come out, however the brackets which are on the body are fixed. I've taken my clips out but I'm still left with the metal bits.. If they are there, then it was an aerotop body...

However, who would reskin an aerotop or fill it... To get a decent finish would cost FAR more than it is worth.

My guess is this car has either been cloned or exported/imported new a new Jspec tag to get round customs.

Either which way, there is SOMETHING VERY fishy with this.

benny boy
02-03-07, 19:43
the dealer is not giving anything away about the car, he wasn't the main guy. he just said he thinks and has been told its an import, i didn't really question him to much.

i didn't check the cars chassis or engine numbers against the vin tag as i don't know where they are on the car? i guess that would be the next things to check.

i left my details with him and said i'm interested, can the main man in charge give me a call about it. i guess i'll have to say something to him?

i'm sure its a uk car, but with a very dodgey past.

cheers for all your help guys.

CJ
02-03-07, 21:38
Well, despite all the advice to the conrary you still seem as keen as ever. It seems to me that you are not going to be happy until someone says to you that you should go ahead and buy it.

There are two types of people I love to deal with - desperate buyers and desperate sellers. You my friend, are definitely of the former variety! :(

benny boy
02-03-07, 21:46
not true, i'm just interested to know what happens next? its easy to turn around and walk away from it but someone else will just come across the same problems won't they.

after finding out this information tonight, im deffinatley not interested.

Ewen
02-03-07, 21:51
Very interesting thread. I love a mystery.

Homer
02-03-07, 22:02
not true, i'm just interested to know what happens next? its easy to turn around and walk away from it but someone else will just come across the same problems won't they.

after finding out this information tonight, im deffinatley not interested.

If I were in your shoes I'd ask for an explaination from the dealer, then report it to the police anyway. The dealer isn't exactly going to offer up that he has a ringed motor and will just try and sell it on to another innocent member of the public.

benny boy
02-03-07, 22:40
cheers homer, thats what i was meaning.

juanchan
04-03-07, 00:41
Very interesting thread. I love a mystery.

Like your absence for the last few weeks?? :p

If there are any answers to the UK-NA-aerotop problem, I, like everyone else, will be intrigued to hear them!

monkey76364
05-03-07, 09:56
Hello and welcome !!! :)