The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advice on buying a supra i have seen

Guest benny boy

Guest benny boy

Firstly hello everyone,

Ive been reading this site for a long time but have only just registered.

I need some advise about buying a supra. i have always wanted a uk spec model and have been looking for a while.

Yesterday i drove past one for sale on a garage forcourt. £7995 in black. 1997 r -reg,

i thought that was strange being an r-reg, but there was no one there to talk to. but when i spoke to the guy this morning, he said it was an import TT. It had been fitted with uk spec bonnet, lights front and back, it had the standard 17" alloys, it had cloth front seats and leather rear seats which i thought was strange. had the rear wing.

he said its done 124k km which i reckon is about 77K miles. clifford alarm, not too much service history. it was auto.

trying to think now. it had electric adjustable heated seats, electric windows and mirrows, air con, etc.

traction control and cruise control

does this sound like a good price for the car?

i think if it was a uk car it would be a good price, but i haven't been looking at imports so i'm not too sure.

any advice on this car would be much appreciated.

thanks

ben

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like an ok price from a dealer mate.

i would clarify the registration and model if i were you. if it's a 97 then it should have facelift lights (wouldn't be sure about why he'd change the rears to pre-facelifted versions), clear front indicators, no front wing indicators, side markers on the bumpers and five dials on the dash board as opposed to three.

Guest benny boy

i took some photos of it to remember certain details, condition etc, but i don't know how to post them,

can i e-mail them to someone to put up on this thread, to give you a better idea of what i saw. you might be able to help me identify the model.

There was a thread recently about the newest UK Supra, and someone said that they had seen a genuine R-reg UK car. It was made in 96 but not registered until 97. This could be another, because it does look like a UK-car from those photos!

Edit: Found the link...http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100575

I didn't think UK cars came with cloth front seats - I thought all UK cars were leather?

true but like Jake said no J-specs had heated seats either.....

..........theres something odd about this one IMO, not necessarily bad but somethings strange.....

I'd look in the drivers side rear brake air vent/duct to check for the rear diff cooler.......i really can't see anyone going to the effort of putting one of these on a J-spec car.........

Very odd. From the outside that looks like a virtually stock UK spec:

- UK spec glass lights

- UK spec rear lights

- wing indicators

- bonnet scopp

- bonnet dildos

- UK rear bumper

However it should have a beige carpet and beige leather front and rear seats. It should also be pre-97.

Any shots of the brakes, dashboard or ideally the VIN plate?

Date of Liability 01 04 2007

Date of First Registration 25 01 2001

Year of Manufacture 1997

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3000CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour BLACK

Vehicle Type Approval

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £96.25

12 Months Rate £175.00

what does all this mean? now i'm really confussed?

so which model is it?

it did have black leater rear seats and black/grey cloth front seats.

The seats would indicate its an import, thats normal to see rear in leather and front in cloth.

The dvla reg check also indicates its an import as the guy said to you, also if the clocks are in km's its onbviously an import.

You could do with getting some more pics of interior and engine bay.