The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi - Slow?

NITO

Hi Guys,

I'm back in the market for another Supra.

Drove a VVTi on Saturday and was left dissapointed with the performance. It had no where near the low down grunt and torque of my old UK TT 6sp.

This was also a 6 speed. Unfortunately due to traffic I didn't really get out of 2nd gear, but up to 60-70 it felt quite slow.

First gear had no poke at all despite the oe boost gauge reading full boost. 2nd gear picked up at higher revs and if you lift off and replant it it came back on song but it needed to be worked.

In first you couldn't even feel the second turbo cut in or the first for that matter.

So is this what the VVTi is like? As a last of the line you would have expected an improvement but it seems to have gone backwards. It revs to 8k instead of 7k iirc on the UK car. Allegedly these have 320 odd bhp. Can anyone else who's driven both comment. Is it a case of for emissions reasons they've had to reduce low down power and move it further up the range? Is VVTi really an improvement over the torquier lower down delivery of the UK cars?

How responsive is the VVTi with a bpu? It feels pretty restrictive as stock. Is it just a case of they have stuffed it with cats etc for emmisions reasons. Otherwise its a very nice car!

Cheers

Nito

VVTi Supras have more torque than pre-VVTi J-spec ones.

J-spec TTs have more torque than UKs.

I thought they didnt? i thought the uk had around the same amount of torque as it did hp, 326ish. where as the jap spec had around 310.

Still, we are splittin hairs really, not much in it :)

I think you get a smoother power delivery with the VVTI , the newer cars are stiffer and they have more sound insulation therefore making the sensation of speed less apparent.

My VVTI BPU is very responsive, from standstill it's fantastic.

makes sense.....

Perhaps it is just a smoothed out delivery then!

It never seemed to give that push in the back, feeling of thrust, nor be accompanied by any turbo whistling. First gear was particularly dull. It didn't fizzle out after 6k like the UK car, a clear advantage of the VVTi.

What is the stock boost on a VVTi? What boost can they run on the stock turbos?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Nito

Rev Limit is 7200 on the VVTi and 6850 on the UK/Jspec.

My TT6 VVTi with a decat felt way stronger (torque) in the middle of the rev range than my previous Jspec TT6. Tried to light up the tyres more often.

You may have driven a bad example...it may just have been a while full stop ;)