The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! I destroyed the oil filter!!

Ark

Guys, I desperately need advice - I've destroyed my oil filter trying to unscrew it! The thing is on so tight that I can't move it. I used one of those bike-chain type wrenches, and it just sawed a big gash in the side of the filter...

How the hell do I get the thing off to replace it? I've tried everything I can think of - three different types of wrenches from halfords were no good, I can't drive a screwdriver through it because there's no space. I tried swearing, to no avail. I can't even take it to a garage because it's now undriveable with no oil...

HELP PLEASE!!!

Strap wrench?

Shops are shut... :(

move the PS res, room for 2 hands and get some welders gloves on should give you enough grip and protection against the sharp bits you made :)

It's worth a go...but knowing my luck that'll bust the steering too...

Thanks so far guys...this has to happen today...I need the car tomorrow...

Undoing the bolt that holds the dipstick to the manifold and then removing the whole dipstick tube helps you get at the filter too.

If necessary you can tap the rim of the filter round with a hammer and chisel just to get it started. I've had to do that a couple of times on other cars (not supras thank God)

How the hell did someone get it on so tight in the first place?! It's not the easiest thing to get at!

It's the rubber seal. It expands and pre-loads the filter case. Not on a Supe but I had break up the filter case by chain drilling and cold chiselling! Major problem was all the swarf floating about.

Can you not get a screwdriver through it?

I can't see an angle...certainly not with enough space to beat on it with a hammer...

unbolts and it does move, the pipe bends a little bit it moves enough out of the way near the battery to let you get 2 hands down to the filter

I took the battery out already, that helped. But even with two hands it wouldn't budge.

Dont want to say stupid but....

You are trying to undo it and not tighten it.

Anti-clockwise. I double-checked using my replacement filter.

People sometimes dont grease or oil the filter seal, which causes them to be stiff or tight. Hammer and chisel/screwdriver is your best bet. Good luck mate!

Ah hell I give up. I'm going to hit the beers instead before I damage something expensive in the dark. But I'm seriously pissed off, because if I can't get to work tomorrow, I can't earn money (I'm a contractor)

In the morning I think I'll phone my garage and give them a piece of my mind!

Have you tried shouting profanities at it, whilst stomping around destroying other nearby unrelated objects? :complain:

Has been known to work sometimes!

lol this is what I will be doing next weekend, when I service my car! I've been used to a BMW with the easiest oil filter to change in the world - oil canister mounted at top of engine , one easy bolt, lift lid off, lift out filter. Why all cars dont have this beats me.

i used a long scewdriver on the rim of the filter and tapped it with a hammer, you only need to move it slightly then it will come off. theres not much room but just enough

Ah HA! yes! I remember seeing someone do that once before...when my wheel valve covers were over tightened. I'd forgotten that trick.

First thing tomorrow!

People sometimes dont grease or oil the filter seal, which causes them to be stiff or tight. Hammer and chisel/screwdriver is your best bet. Good luck mate!

Yeah, had this before with a dealership serviced car the rubber seal tries to weld itself on. Screwdriver on the rim sounds best bet to me as you could pierce a driver through the thing but what's to say that wont just twist the metal.

Good luck mate, keep taking the patience pills.:)

i used a long scewdriver on the rim of the filter and tapped it with a hammer, you only need to move it slightly then it will come off. theres not much room but just enough
Ah HA! yes! I remember seeing someone do that once before...when my wheel valve covers were over tightened. I'd forgotten that trick.

First thing tomorrow!

I said that in Post 11 :(