The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Building / Buying A Single Turbo Supra

mr lover

Right, where do I start, I would like by the end of this year be in a position to be able to,

a) Buy a single already done in the uk set up properly, wife wants an aerotop

b) Buy a TT6 and buy the parts and convert to a single, wife wants an aerotop

c) Convert the car I have to a 6 speed single, it is an aerotop

d) Buy a fresh import 6 speed single aerotop and take a chance on how much I need to spend to bring it up to spec, as a lot seem to need it

Now if I do not convert my current car I will need to sell it.

The wife would prefer to keep the car we have but only because it is an aerotop. I would like to think that over the course of the year I could buy most of the parts that I need without feeling the pinch to convert the car I have and this will also give me the choice of exactly what I want.

Now I would assume to convert the car I have will be the most expensive way to go, but what are my chances of get a 6 speed single aerotop :D

One other option buy a 6 speed single and do a engine and gearbox swap with mine and then sell the doner car as a twin turbo auto.

Real question is where to start?

One suggestion that I have had already is get rid of the wife :D, it is an option but she is like one of the family now :D

Just thinking out loud really but any comments are welcome :)

Garry, there's two questions you should ask yourself first:

1) How much you are willing to spend to get the car you require

2) What level of reliabilty do you require (power is almost irrelevant seeing as you're going for a street car - right? ;) )

From what I know of you, you will be looking for a reliable, daily driver and not just a weekend car with TVR reliabilty. This means a proper single conversion ala Terry S/JamieP spec motors along with a proper ECU and professional map.

Unless you get very lucky I don't forsee a great deal of difference price wise in the options you've listed.

Garry, there's two questions you should ask yourself first:

1) How much you are willing to spend to get the car you require

2) What level of reliabilty do you require (power is almost irrelevant seeing as you're going for a street car - right? ;) )

From what I know of you, you will be looking for a reliable, daily driver and not just a weekend car with TVR reliabilty. This means a proper single conversion ala Terry S/JamieP spec motors along with a proper ECU and professional map.

Good points, I would not be looking for big big power and reliabilty is important and certainly a street car first and foremost.

Willing to spend, if I do it it would have to be properly, I would rather spend a bit more in the beginning to save problems / costs later, saying that I will not have an open cheque book :)

Real question is where to start?

One suggestion that I have had already is get rid of the wife :D, it is an option but she is like one of the family now

That has to be one of the classic comments of all times.;)

As Homer has already said, I reckon the only way to have a reliable machine (with history) is to build it yourself.

That said, I would certainly buy Jamie's, Terry's or Joe's car if any of them came on the market (and I was looking for such a power house)

I Played with this question for a good while, and then started looking for a ready built car.

I ended up buying Terry S's and paid a lot for it compared to the price some have been going for - but it you look at the knowledge, parts, and labour that went into it - it's was a bargain.

They don't come up very often, but when they do they are a relative bargain.

I found myself looking at that silver twin blitz turbo at gt cars and almost popped in to have a look. dodged a bullet there....

'tis a good question you have there, mr lover, and one that I've been asking myself for a while (although i don't have a supra at the moment, so c) is not an option for me)

The idea of an import is great - but at current market prices it seems a supra already in the UK doesn't cost much more (or sometimes nothing extra) so if the right one came available I'd do that.

I've also considered buying a pre-modded one - something someone else has put a lot of money into, in order to save money myself. BUT, and its a big but, I'd only buy a supra from these forums from someone i can kinda trust - i'd have other people on here to vouch for the car/owner and how its been looked after.

Anyway, if you want to keep the missus happy, the only way IMO for you to get an aerotop manual TT or single is to modify your current car - there would be very little chance of you finding an aerotop TT manual.

Just my 2p worth :) What are your overall power aims because this really impacts on A) How much you need to spend B) The reliability issues. For example if your looking at large power then engine and gearbox rebuild may have to be completed as well.

I know from my own experience that i spent a bit more and went down the PHR route and i really don't regret it for a second because the fitment and drivability of the car is excellent!

I am only running modest power compare to JamieP and the like but as far as reliability is concerned my car is a daily drive and its been great (apart from some starting issues from cold which is down to a dodgy water temp sensor not related to the single).

I reckon i've spent over 5K but that includes replacing some BPU bits and doing all the work myself.

I will be having an engine and gearbox rebuild at some point so i can run a little more boost :eyebrows: but at the moment im very happy.

I'd say one of the biggest expenses would be labour to convert an Aero to a manual, then to a single.

Obviously there would be a massive saving if you're doing the work yourself.

Based on 'reliability' and 'street car', you're only looking at a small single, so you shouldn't need to uprate any internals.

All comes down to the budget at first.

Hard one, either way its not going to be cheap to do it right.

You have a stunning car there Gary and as you already say its an areotop;)

If i was in your shoes id build that car upto the spec you want in different stages, starting with the manual conversion.

Then start collecting parts (you have a nice wastegate) for the single as and when decent deals come up on the forum:)