The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sz And Sz-r

chilly

The facelift (96 on) SZ-R's seem to fetch much higher prices than SZ's at the jap auctions which would lead me to believe what I already thought - the facelift SZ-R's have the 6-Sp box, big brakes and LSD among other things - all sought after.

The .pdf linked above reckons SZ-R's from '94 but I'm not convinced... the ones I see in listings are '96 on facelift models. I think many unscrupulous sellers over here advertise plain SZ's as SZ-R's when selling to command a higher premium for them.

Cheers,

Brian.

My car is a facelift 96 SZ-R but It has a 5 speed box. The later models do have 6's. My car has factory skirts and LSD and folding mirrors. I do not have leather seats or big brakes??

:confused:

I asked all these questions before I bought it and got a different set of answers to what are being posted now!:rolleyes:

Here's a pic if that helps.

car1.jpg

96 facelfit rear.jpg

H.

edit! Not sure if mine has ABS but it does have twin air bags???

My car is a facelift 96 SZ-R but It has a 5 speed box. The later models do have 6's. My car has factory skirts and LSD and folding mirrors. I do not have leather seats or big brakes??

:confused:

I asked all these questions before I bought it and got a different set of answers to what are being posted now!:rolleyes:

Here's a pic if that helps.

[ATTACH]52489[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52490[/ATTACH]

H.

edit! Not sure if mine has ABS but it does have twin air bags???

Got any pics from under the bonnett and I can tell you :D

Don't have the leather seats or big brakes on mine.

Could it be that 96 was the cross over year for the facelift models and so some models still had optional extras?

For example, according to my chassis number mine was made in June of 1996 and is a facelift model, is a non vvti, 6 speed with lsd and abs.

Aerotop SZ-R compared to SZ (was AUTO as Aerotop)

SZ-R had ABS and Leather and Lsd

SZ Didn't but where optional

Nyarrrghhh!!! I keep saying the Supra model thing is wrong.

The aerotop was SZ!!!! DBs old one was SZ, so is mine, I'm sure if most people check they will be the same.

My facelift came with cloth, has no LSD, does have ABS and only got big brakes after a conversion.

My understanding the SZ-R was that it was meant to be the sporty version and that they were lightened in someway as well - given the Aerotop is the heavy model it doesn't make much sense for it to be an SZ-R.

SZ-Rs are available as 5 speeds and 6 speeds and were available pre and post facelift.