The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A High idle from cold

Rory

Hi Folks

Is it normal for my N/A to idle so high when engine is cold? It idles at 1600rpm ish for the first couple of mins when cold, before coming down to normal once warmed up.

It makes driving with the autobox a bit tricky with such high revs so I usually let it warm up enough to idle lower before driving off.

Not one of it's best features in my opinion. I get to a t-junction about 50 yards after I leave home. When the car is cold, as I begin to brake the high idle means it's fighting the brakes a bit - and then inevitably, the idle drops slightly and the car suddenly slows. Smooth driving it's not.......

Very normal indeed, the NA seems to range from about 1400 to 2000 on cold for most people, mines certainly been in the lower end of that bracket for its life with me and seems absolutely fine :)

Keith C told me it should be lower!!!

I had a GS300 N/A which had about 1800 rpm on cold start and 1200 rpm when warm.

It had two problems.

1, Vacuum leak on the gasket in between the throttle body and inlet manifold. I think this raises the revs?

2, This can also cause misfiring so someone had tightened the throttle cable to try and mask the misfiring.

When I fixed the problems the Cold start revs went down to 1200 and Warm/hot idle to 800. About the same as my TT.

Start the engine when cold. In the engine bay, push in the throttle cable with your hand so it's slackened - See if Idle goes down.

Toyota reccommend the gasket is changed everytime you change the sparkplugs but some people don't. Make sure you do.

Not sure if an exhaust leak may cause higher idle?

Keith should know better seeing as his got one sitting outside his house.....

Edit to add - I suspect his comment may have been directed at your warm idle speed - 1200 is pretty high indeed!

Cool,

Mines was showing more problems.

When you do cold start, you should be able to reach the downpipe joins in the engine bay and the exhaust joins underneath the car, whilst the exhaust is still COLD, feel the joins for leaks.