The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery not keeping Charge.

dannyspeed

Ive got an Exide Maxxima battery which i had fitted about 3 years ago which has been faultless up to now. It went dead after not using the sup for 3 weeks.

I jumped started the car and went for a 30 minute drive after i turned the engine off and atempted to start it again it was dead. Ive had a voltage meter on the terminals and when started it reads 14.30 volts, so i take it the alternater is is still working ok. When i test the battery when the engine is switched off the voltage start to drop slowly.

Is it time for a new battery? I thought these Exide Maxxima's lasted forever?

Not ever been impressed with the longevity of the halfords ones. Mine died after a few months and Keith's has keeled over after a couple of years, however my Motorworld was awesome and died after nearly 4 years of service. Plus you can get a nice high crank with them too :)

And where did you get it from Joe, and does it have a code number please:)

Hi Neil, I will have to dig out the receipt of where I got it from. If I can find it :)

I can't even give you the serial number as the car is up in Milton Keynes right now.

Joe

I jumped started the car and went for a 30 minute drive

Sounds like that's what killed it :(

Most batteries don't like being charged at 90 to 100 amps, but this is what happens when its jump started and the alternator is kicking as much current into it as it can. This can (in some cases literally) fry the battery.

Much better to trickle charge it from totally dead, but easier said than done in most cases.

Sounds like that's what killed it :(

Most batteries don't like being charged at 90 to 100 amps, but this is what happens when its jump started and the alternator is kicking as much current into it as it can. This can (in some cases literally) fry the battery.

Much better to trickle charge it from totally dead, but easier said than done in most cases.

I did charge the battery a week before i jumped it and once back in the car it started fine. But after a week of not using the car the battery was dead again.