The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Actual width of a mkiv with mirrors folded in

Branners

Hi All,

I have seen all the official figures for the width of a mkiv but they have never said if its the width of the car including the mirrors when folded in.

Im about to have a garage door put on the new garage so i want to make sure the supra will fit.

Can somebody do me a favour and go and fold their mirrors in and then measure the width of the car from edge of the mirror to edge of the other mirror.

Im also assuming here that when the mirrors are folded in they are still the widest part of the car?

thanks

JB

Hi All,

Im also assuming here that when the mirrors are folded in they are still the widest part of the car?

JB

Not necessarily JB. I can't get to my car right now, but I know with my mirrors folded in, my side skirts (they flare at the rear, custom jobbies) are actually wider.

Depends on your exterior spec, but yes, they probably are.

Here you go.

Widest part of the car is across the rear wheel arches - as near as damnit 6 foot. (I reckon 5'11.75")

With the mirrors folded in they are only 5'10.5" tip to tip. They fold in narrower than the general width of the door below.

Front wheel arch width is 5'11"

I remember from my earliest posts here that the rear was widest - I had similar problems getting in past my gateposts.

How are you going to get out of the car Branners if it just about fits? I have visions of you climbing out of the boot :D

its the garage entrance thats very narrow, once inside the garage I should be able to get the door open and get out without too much trouble (although building regs forced us to put more insulation in which took another 3" out of the overall width).

What worried me was that the garage door they are putting in has to mount on a frame which takes even more of the entrance out of use.

Thanks for the measurements, I will head out to the garage in the morning and check. Im also going to shift this to technical as it may help somebody in the future.

JB

Are most garages these days built to a specific width? If you drive it in straight and then once your past the mirrors turn it slightly left, it gives you a bit more space to get out.

If you screw a bit of carpet to the near side wall, as your going slow, if you touch the garage wall, there will be no damage done.

Here you go.

Widest part of the car is across the rear wheel arches - as near as damnit 6 foot. (I reckon 5'11.75")

With the mirrors folded in they are only 5'10.5" tip to tip. They fold in narrower than the general width of the door below.

Front wheel arch width is 5'11"

I remember from my earliest posts here that the rear was widest - I had similar problems getting in past my gateposts.

I must have the subtlest wide arches ever known then and mirrors on stalks because I have 1 inch clearance over the mirrors through my gateposts at 6'8".