The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fluids ??

markjodrell

Just wondering ....

why is it necessary to be changing all the fluids on a Supra at regular intervals.i.e diff , gearbox etc.

Its not as if there is a build up of carbon in the oil

I can understand the reason behind engine oil changes and filter ......

I have a 2ltr Vectra , and its done 140k nearly. Its never had the gearbox oil changed, in fact I never gave it a though. Just changed the engine oil/filter every 6k.

I doubt your vectra is putting over 400bhp through the gearbox.

The more power you make the more stress each component is under. You dont have to change fluids etc, but most folk on here work on the theory that its easier/cheaper to keep on top of simple tasks like fluid changes than replace engine/gearbox/diff.

The gearbox oil is not quite as regular to be honest, even the engine oil is changed a lot sooner than needed by a lot of people, I usually change oil between 5-10,000 miles or sometimes sooner, depends how the car has been used. A lot of memebers will not agree, but thats just me :) cant help you on the gearbox oil as mine is an auto, but I always keep an eye on my transmission fluid colour and smell and any funny business from the box before I do a partial flush