The mkiv Supra Owners Club

noise polution on a public road? fu**ing neighbors

fat_controller

just puting the car on the drive which is a bit of a task as i live in a terraced house, so i have to kinda parralell park onto the drive which takes all in with letting the car cool for a minute and a half around 5 minutes. was putting the car on at 10o'clock tonight when a lady from 2 doors up came out waveing her arms about telling me to turn it off, i did sit there for about a minute haveing a fag letting the car col down but wasn't sitting there any longer than normal, i just told her "i can't turn it straight off, it's not like a normal car" and that i've got from 7-11 to make noise, she replied with"i've got young kids in bed", i replied "my girlfriend works nights and your fu**ing kids are out in the street playing, screaming, swearing and keeping her up all day", she went in after that. they've come out before stairing at me but i've just ignored it. i just want to know where i stand in terms of laws and if i'm aloud to make as much noise as my car does.

i only use the car at weekends, get it off saturday around 2ish and put it back around 5ish on sunday afternoon, unless i'm going to a meet like tonight, but it's not like it was late, when i come back late late, like 11ish onwards i park it on the street so that it's nice and quick ans doesn't disturb people for to long.

anyone had similar problems? whats the best thing i could do besides going to try have a rashional conversation with em?

thanks for any input. ant

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep your cool for the sake of the neighbourhood or she'll start others ganging up on you.

[edit] as Jamie says too - I often coast the last mile or so if late at night.

i am trying to keep my cool and i am very understanding if prople are polite to me, i'll definatly drive slowly the last mile or two but most of the noise is made by me getting on the drive, i do try to be as quiete as pos but with a carbon ti it's hard:d

Of course you can.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need another respray soon if you piss your neighbours off like that for no good reason.

i don't talk to people like shit and i didn't really then but it was the way she was talking to me that i didn't like, she was right raged up, i don't wanna piss em off so i think i'll pop round for a chat and try to get them to understand that this is my hobby and every now and the i will pull up around tenish on a weekday but it's once maybe twice a month, otherwise it's at the weekend.

the noise of cars and bikes ragging it passed is twice as bad as the noise i make

As said above. Just go really easy for the last few mins on the way home. Alternatively get a garage as you will soon find dents and scratches on the car that were not there before!

Not worth upsetting people. If they really dont like it. Buy a baffel and stick it in (no need to bolt in properly) a few mins from home :)

Dont let the turbo come on line for the last couple of min before you get home and there is no need to sit there with the car tickingover.

:yeahthat:

I live in a small cul-de-sac and the noise from the exhaust literally causes the neighbours windows to rattle.

I start it and cruise away from the place immediately. After a drive, I make sure the last 2-3 miles are taken very slowly allowing everything to cool off so I can coast into my driveway and turn off straight away.

In 3 years I've never had a complaint or comments about the noise.

It's really not worth upsetting the neighbours over something like this. I'd suggest you go and see your neighbour, make an apology and explain the reasons why you were leaving it idling (perhaps that you didn't understand how to cool down the car), if they are in any way reasonable they should understand. Provided you let it cool off before pulling in there's no reason for leaving it idling for so long.

Sometimes eating a bit of humble pie is the best way to solve a dispute

As said above. Just go really easy for the last few mins on the way home. Alternatively get a garage as you will soon find dents and scratches on the car that were not there before!

Not worth upsetting people. If they really dont like it. Buy a baffel and stick it in (no need to bolt in properly) a few mins from home :)

i've been looking at moveing to a plaice with a garage but i haven't been here a year, i might get a baffle actually and just leave it in the boot and do what you said

:yeahthat:

I live in a small cul-de-sac and the noise from the exhaust literally causes the neighbours windows to rattle.

I start it and cruise away from the place immediately. After a drive, I make sure the last 2-3 miles are taken very slowly allowing everything to cool off so I can coast into my driveway and turn off straight away.

In 3 years I've never had a complaint or comments about the noise.

It's really not worth upsetting the neighbours over something like this. I'd suggest you go and see your neighbour, make an apology and explain the reasons why you were leaving it idling (perhaps that you didn't understand how to cool down the car), if they are in any way reasonable they should understand. Provided you let it cool off before pulling in there's no reason for leaving it idling for so long.

thing is i have a bit of a mission getting on me drive so it's not that easy, i'm really not trying to upset them, i just wanna know where i stand for if i go round there and they start going nuts and not have none of it. i do try to be nice, i introduced myself to all my neighbors when i moved here and these are the only ones who don't say hello or make any sort of conversation

thing is i have a bit of a mission getting on me drive so it's not that easy, i'm really not trying to upset them, i just wanna know where i stand for if i go round there and they start going nuts and not have none of it. i do try to be nice, i introduced myself to all my neighbors when i moved here and these are the only ones who don't say hello or make any sort of conversation

As I said, sometimes you have to eat humble pie. People are unreasonable, especially if you got off on the wrong foot. You have nothing to loose by going over and apologising and asking for a new start.

If they're still acting like cnuts then you know you've done all you can to solve it.

IMO its just not worth falling out with neighbours over any issue like this.

Best of luck :)

I can imagine it shooting out and killing one of her kids! :rlol:

He should be so lucky!

BTW, that car recorded the highest ever db reading i've done, both on idle and at 4k rpm ;)

What was it? Higher than mine, lol. No WONDER your neighbours get pissed off!

As I said, sometimes you have to eat humble pie. People are unreasonable, especially if you got off on the wrong foot. You have nothing to loose by going over and apologising and asking for a new start.

If they're still acting like cnuts then you know you've done all you can to solve it.

IMO its just not worth falling out with neighbours over any issue like this.

Best of luck :)

i know what you meen, for all i know i'm gonna be liveing here with them for the next 4-5 years, i don't wanna fall out with them i just wish they had come over and asked me politely as i would have done haveing it had been the other way round

i have also just moved into a cul de sac and i dont drive my car that much but when i do i always put the baffle in then start her up and drive straight off then get around the corner and pull out the baffle and then let the car warm up, then when comming back, dont push it for the last 10mins, stop a bit off from my house and just pop the baffle back in then pull onto my drive and switch off, it is a pain but really cant be dealing with people complaining and so far so good... It makes such a difference with a baffle its untrue, well worth it, plus i pop the baffle in the other way round so its easy to just grab it and pull it back out, looks a bit silly mind you! lol

i have also just moved into a cul de sac and i dont drive my car that much but when i do i always put the baffle in then start her up and drive straight off then get around the corner and pull out the baffle and then let the car warm up, then when comming back, dont push it for the last 10mins, stop a bit off from my house and just pop the baffle back in then pull onto my drive and switch off, it is a pain but really cant be dealing with people complaining and so far so good... It makes such a difference with a baffle its untrue, well worth it, plus i pop the baffle in the other way round so its easy to just grab it and pull it back out, looks a bit silly mind you! lol

yeah i'm gonna get a baffle and explain to them what it is, might look stupid but that not a bad idea with the baffle for the last few miles

just looking for a baffle now:)

Where can you get these from? Because I’m in dyer need of one of those as my neighbours don’t seem to want to smile at me any more since I got my car apart from my next door neighbour who's been up for work on time every week day since december!:D