The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel computers (eManage?) + injectors

carl0s

In the near future, I would like to spend some time making sure the fuelling is correct on my car.

A new Walbro GSS342 pump is going in this week, along with new fuel filter and usual service items, but I'm mostly concerned about the >1bar stuff, where I am led to believe the stock ECU just runs the injectors at 100% duty cycle, which (a) means I may be losing power due to running rich, and (b) is possibly bad for the injectors which are normally spec'd not to run beyond 80% d/c, and © if my injectors can't actually supply enough fuel for ~1.2bar (440cc jap injectors), then I would potentially be running lean which is definately a bad thing.

So I'm thinking that the way forward is:

1. A means of monitoring AFRs.

2. Some slightly bigger injectors.

3. Something to control those bigger injectors.

Am I on the money here guys?

I don't like dash clutter and buttons and things, so I'm thinking eManage ultimate, maybe. How hard are these things to play with, say if I just want to add some fuelling at various points in the rev/boost range?

Is it possible to run a wideband o2 sensor directly into the eManage and deal with the numbers from there, on a laptop, so I don't have to actually have an AFR gauge mounted in the dash?

Is there anything else I'm missing (resistor packs...? ... fuel rail.. ? are these things needed just for safety on stock turbos?)

All input would be greatly appreciated :)

I would personally go for some drop in PE550 injectors from Nic the Pimp mate, (no need for resistor pack or new rail) and control it by an EMU or EM Blue. If you're not looking at big power, a SAFC-II and 550's will suffice fine. :)

Also, deffo got an AEM Wideband AFR or the similar. Great peace of mind when under boost!

You'll need to get the EMU fitted and mapped matey. Ian C is your man for that or you could try Thor. :)

Good luck.

Greg

I am only going by the EMU injector duty cycle, but i have seen 93% DC at 1.1 bar in cold weather, so i'm going to bung in some lager injectors anyway, as i will either be fitting hybrids or a single, the blue EM can take a lambda feedback, but its a pain to set up,

EMU has plug and play lambda feed back with an auto tune feature target AFR so its easier, it works reasonably well for a base to work from.

Cool.

Isn't the Aeromotive FPR that thing that Ian C said was pointless, even bad actually? and then someone came along and reminded us of it?

Tried searching for the post before but didn't come up with much.

Good lord no, I've got one myself.

It's the FSE rising rate regulator that's badness :)

-Ian

Hi carl0s

You've been PM'd

Also Have Gunmetal Facelift TT Auto

Thanks Dave. I just got your PM :)

I'd never heard of running a pair of extra injectors before. I just assumed that each injector squirted directly into a corresponding cylinder. Is that not the case?

How does it work with the extra pair?

Thanks Dave. I just got your PM :)

I'd never heard of running a pair of extra injectors before. I just assumed that each injector squirted directly into a corresponding cylinder. Is that not the case?

How does it work with the extra pair?

The two additional injectors squirt from the elbow immediately before the plenum so there is already a fuel/air mix in the plenum rather than just air, have never had any problems with this set-up and the car certainly performs well enough, as the E-manage does not have to alter the ratio to the larger injectors (the switching voltage is affected to the same percentage) the switching for turbo 2 is not affected, incidentally HKS only make two ready made elbows, for the Supra and RX7, both of which run sequential turbo set-ups!

The two additional injectors squirt from the elbow immediately before the plenum so there is already a fuel/air mix in the plenum rather than just air, have never had any problems with this set-up and the car certainly performs well enough, as the E-manage does not have to alter the ratio to the larger injectors (the switching voltage is affected to the same percentage) the switching for turbo 2 is not affected, incidentally HKS only make two ready made elbows, for the Supra and RX7, both of which run sequential turbo set-ups!

Additional injectors is VERY old-skool and the design of the 2JZ-GTE intake manifold allows some wonderful fuel pooling to take place in the lower runners. The fuel distribution is laughable as well, may as well have a carburettor and be done with it. There is no excuse these days for running additional injectors instead of correctly sized direct port ones. It's a nasty nasty bodge.

Something almost as old-skool is the myth that altering the airflow signal affects the second turbo transition :)

-Ian

Each to their own, all I know is that the system regarding turbo 2working sequentially would not work with fuel rail and 680cc injectors brought into the equation (ie 680 divided by 440 to form the percentage fueling) and nobody could offer any answers (here included) whilst still retaining the original ecu (auto trans) and a piggy back, the additional injectors solved the issue and give no probs (455rwhp on hybrids).

I thought they did one that came with an LED/LCD gauge? Can't see it on that site.

You may have to call or email them, the gauge you mean is the XD-16, you can get a kit that comprises of the XD-16 and the LC-1 which is just a lambda controller which will give you basic lambda/AFR display, but in order to get the full data logging and multi display options you either need to get the LM-1 and XD-16 or i think you can add the LMA-3 autobox to the LC-1 now and achieve the same functions,

i have the LM-1/XD-16 and the LMA-3 and can log 6 or 12 channels, and with the software i can create graphs that i can use to directly input mapping values into engine management.