The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol Smell

Rory

Hi Folks

I notice when my car is running a smell of petrol from around the drivers side door... is that the side the fuel lines run?

Basically I wondered if this is a common problem so I can get a fix? I will have my mechanic have a look at it when he's doing the brakes ( hopefully this week )

Forgot to say petrol smell is only there when car is running.

i'd be suprised if it was an actual leak to be honest.

Have you noticed this on first start up or all the time?

The fuel line runs more down the passenger side. Only thing likely to have been disturbed on a NA fuel system is the filter. This is located about a foot in from the side of the car just back from the passenger side wheel. May be worth a look....

i'd be suprised if it was an actual leak to be honest.

Have you noticed this on first start up or all the time?

The fuel line runs more down the passenger side. Only thing likely to have been disturbed on a NA fuel system is the filter. This is located about a foot in from the side of the car just back from the passenger side wheel. May be worth a look....

Its basically there all the time the car is running, Im hoping the fuel lines aren't corroded. I don't smell it in the cabin but do when I open my door.

Its basically there all the time the car is running, Im hoping the fuel lines aren't corroded. I don't smell it in the cabin but do when I open my door.

new owner paranoia alert :)

I cannot in all my time on here (4+yrs) recall anything corroded in respect of fuel lines. I spose some sort of damage is possible but again very unlikely imo.

It could be to do with your charcoal canister (little box at the rear of the engine bay (passenger side) or the waft of fuel from the exhaust through running rich.

new owner paranoia alert :)

I cannot in all my time on here (4+yrs) recall anything corroded in respect of fuel lines. I spose some sort of damage is possible but again very unlikely imo.

It could be to do with your charcoal canister (little box at the rear of the engine bay (passenger side) or the waft of fuel from the exhaust through running rich.

lol you are right its new owner paranoia... but theres definately a fairly strong smell and its sickly because I use vpower lol

I will certainly have a poke around when its up on ramps this week. Checked mpg for first time and got 22.5 which was a mix of town traffic and some motorway so I dont think its running too rich tbh.

There's basically three ways the petrol can get out of the tank.

The first is down the fuel lines into the engine. They way it should.

The second is back out the filler neck. This is very unlikely if you've done up the cap. However there I think there is an o'ring in the filler cap, which you could try replacing.

The third is through the breather. If this is blocked, what will happen is that when you go to undo the petrol cap you'll get a "whooshing" of air because you've basically pumped all the petrol out of the tank and created a vacuum. You shouldn't ever really be able to smell large quantities of petrol from this, and less if it's blocked or has a kink in the tube. You can check this by disconnecting the hose that runs off to the rear right of the car when looking under the tank inspection cover in the boot, and blowing down it.

If you've got a strong petrol smell, disregarding running mad mad rich, then it can only be one thing. A leak. Generally this mean bad things. So check all the connections of where the rubber hose joins onto the hard lines under the car and all the connections. Also check where the hoses connect onto the pulsation dampener and the fuel rail.

Alternatively, you may have intentionally created a leak in the system by removing the charcoal cannister. The idea behind this gizmo, from my understanding, is to remove petrol vapour from the emissions. A lot of people who have removed it have reported strong petrol smells, so if this is no longer on your car, then I would say you've found your culprit.

I can smell fuel. I just assume it's my car going "Yes, burn baby burn" whenever I start her up or close her down. It smells lovely. :)

I certainly don't worry about this. I assume could partly be contributed to BPU too and no Cats to restrict any other smelly gases?

Paul E mentions on that thread he had a sleeve fitted in the fuel filler which he took out and stopped petrol smell ... ?

Is it a sleeve down inside the fuel neck? Why is it there? I have no clue about this thing.

It is the one to ensure unleaded petrol - I think there is a breather pipe that it might block or something

Anyway - worked for me :)