The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to facelift your pre-facelift Supra

part_timer

How to facelift your pre-facelift Supra

This is how my supra looked until today; tired orange indicators and misty, yellow headlamp lenses.

The Supra was updated in ’96, I believe, with new headlamps, rear clusters and front indicators (amongst other things.) These are not quite a straight swap, but it’s pretty easy. The main difference was the change from mirror background to black background in the headlamps and the sidelight is now located in the indicator unit instead of the headlamp unit.

You will need:

Your facelift headlamps

Facelift indicators (should come with bulbs)

Indicator looms x 2

Tools:

10mm spanner with extension

8mm spanner

Soldering iron and accessories

Phillips Screwdriver

Stanley knife

Power drill

• Disconnect the battery and remove old headlamps. First, unscrew all the bulb-holders and remove the bulbs so they don’t get broken (The fog-light bulbs are a right PITA to remove.) There is 1 bolt and two nuts holding each headlamp unit in place; the bolt is at the top above the radiator, the two nuts are a bit more tricky, tucked away next to the inside of the wings. In the picture, you can see the back of the headlamp (arrowed green) with the two side nuts (arrowed red).

Both the nuts and bolts are 10mm. I used the extension to get at the side nuts, on the drivers side you may want to remove the battery (I didn’t). I also but I found it easier to completely remove the airbox and intercooler piping on the drivers side. These are held in place with about four bolts, and a few jubilee clips; they are all easy to see and remove.

• Once you have done step one, you can now see the bolts that hold the old indicators in place.

And the rear view:

On the passenger side these are easy to remove but on the drivers side much more tricky due to the intercooler in the way. To get at the bottom two nuts, I found it easier to go underneath them through the vent in the bumper.

Once you have removed the indicators you can now compare them to the facelift ones and see that the three bolts are in a different configuration.

There are two options for you now:

You can either cut off the sideways pointing bolt on the new indicator. Or you can drill a new hole in the bumper for it. I chose the latter method because I saw one done the other way and it was all crooked and just looked crap!

The picture shows roughly where to drill the hole. This is a bit of a trial and error process but don’t be afraid to drill more holes or file them to get them just right because the new indicator hides them completely.

Now try them for fit and remove again.

• Now comes the soldering! Although I bought the facelift looms because I was told I would definitely need them, I didn’t! All you need is the bulb holders that come with them because they are very different to the pre-facelift ones.

Cut off your old side-light bulb holders and replace with the new ones and do the same with the indicators, then insulate them (Duh!) You will probably need to use some more wire here because mine were not quite long enough to reach.

Now reconnect the battery, put the bulbs in and check they light up. There’s nothing more annoying than getting to the end only to find you have a blown bulb! I replaced my sidelight bulbs with these from ebay. Only £4.50.

You may now want to disconnect the battery again.

Fitting the facelift headlamps is a reversal of removing the old ones but takes a bit of jiggery to get them in. (That is the technical term, I looked it up!)

Today, I replaced my fog-light bulbs with “Phillips Blue Vision” the dipped ones are still in the post. I hope.

4 Stand back and admire your work!

I am really pleased with the bulbs I chose, and I cant wait to replace my dipped bulbs with more Phillips blue ones!

Rear clusters are a straight swap with the old ones but you MUST also get a new loom because the bulbs are different and wont fit into the pre-facelift loom.

Please leave your comments and questions or PM me.

John

I've done the grill but nothing else yet, still waiting on facelift indicators to arrive , supplies have dried up I think.

The grill is a wee bit fiddly cos you have to measure where to drill the holes but they look good and are pre-painted.:)

[ATTACH]52328[/ATTACH]

T53112-14070-D0 Last two are the colour code.

• 1 month later...

yep deffo got the 6 LED ones. they're the same size as W5W and they have the resistor "built in"

got them off an ebay seller called jzlz1996

Cheers Pot, mate!

And just to update, my dipped bulbs arrived along with some free extras to make up so Envy are back in my good books - Cheers Gaz