The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Side Mounted Radiator

Nic

I found this today and thought that it was an interesting idea.

It is a side mounted radiator made by Border that works in conjuction with the main rad.

[qimg]http://border-racing.com/border-web-catalog/main-catalog/border/parts/img/jza80_sidescoopradiator.jpg[/qimg]

http://border-racing.com/border-web-catalog/new-web-catalog/parts-catalog-index.html

I am missing the point here.

I'm not sure upgrading the rad really makes that much difference though Gaz.

If you've still got a chonking great FMIC in front of it, you could have the best constructed rad in the world, it still isn't going to see a decent amount of airflow.

Sticking a smaller one where there is a good airflow, is definitely going to be a good idea.

If I end up going for a FMIC (I'm hoping I don't need to) I may be interested in something like this.

I have stated this before.

On my car the air has to pass through my Blitz LM FMIC, then my aircon rad, then my Fluidyne rad on which I have a twin electric fan set up with a polished shroud. I have never seen high temps or had an overheating problem.

IMO that space they have used above would be better suited for an oil cooler.

Re the twin smics- would the additional smic have any benefit over one- would the restrictions of airflow counter any cooling properties it may have?

If I had a FMIC I'd have a side mounted rad & oil cooler as in the pic above, but the near side wheel arch liner will need louvres (sp?) to allow air to exit the radiator/cooler in the manner of the stock smic set-up.

I have stated this before.

On my car the air has to pass through my Blitz LM FMIC, then my aircon rad, then my Fluidyne rad on which I have a twin electric fan set up with a polished shroud. I have never seen high temps or had an overheating problem.

IMO that space they have used above would be better suited for an oil cooler.

But as mentioned before though, if you're going to track day a car, you're going to generate a lot more heat than motorway driving, 1/4 mile runs or dyno's.

That's where having a FMIC becomes a problem, and I see this as a potential solution....

MMMM and just how hard on the road do you drive your car?? Please specify roads :D I find that my car takes a pasting on the track (I can guarantee I haven't got traffic coming the other way so bravery hits a max).

I have a question here. Why would 2 SMICs in series have any different airflow reduction over two SMICs in parallel? We aren't talking about electricity here. Yup ducting to the other SMIC would be needed. If required you could bung a watermist or other cooling system into the extra SMIC with no adverse affects.

What we really are talking about is heat exchange. Now there is heat in the charge air for sure and that is important, but so is the other heat in the engine. Stuff an FMIC in front of your radiator and you start to lose your radiator efficiency. In a small way that makes your fan run heavier load which saps power from your engine. The less efficient your radiator (the older and more knackered your rad the less efficient it is) the bigger the problem will be when everythinh gets too hot.