The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Push button start

2jzhead

It's easy - you just need to splice into your ignition loom. You need to bridge the IGN switch wires in your key barrel. Use the search - I posted the wire colours you need in someone elses thread, asking the same thing.

i dont seem to be able to find it but ill keep looking

OK, the white block you want is directly attached to the key barrel, and there are five wires in there:

- White

- White with red stripe

- Black with yellow stripe

- Black with white stripe

- Black with orange stripe

If you can't see this clearly, you need to take more of the dashboard apart.

You want to bridge the white to the black-with-white-stripe, but ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR STARTER BUTTON IS NON-LATCHING (it closes the circuit only while the button is pressed). This worked fine last time I did it.

Disclaimer: I'm providing this information in good faith; it's up to you whether you follow it or not. If it all goes wrong, I am not to blame! If you aren't confident of what you are doing, make sure whatever you do is reversible somehow. If you still aren't sure, take it to an auto-electrician.

So i cut the white, put that on one side of the button, then the black with the white stripe to the other side of the button :innocent:

So i cut the white, put that on one side of the button, then the black with the white stripe to the other side of the button :innocent:

Yes, that's the theory.

But if you ACTUALLY do that, it won't work, because the black wire (I think) is also the ground wire for the other positions on the key barrel.

You MUST splice them, so the black remains attached where it is AS WELL AS connecting to the button. The other wire...well that's up to you. If you connect it only to the button, only the button will fire the starter motor. If you splice into that one too, then both the button and the key will be able to run the motor.

Guest Phillw454

im tempted to try it now! is it easy to get to the white block with all the wires on it?

think i might install some little tricky bits on the supra next month:)

Depends how flexible you are. If you go in from underneath the steering wheel, it's only mildly agonising. Make sure you have a helper to hand tools to you though, because extricating yourself from being upside down in the footwell is hard work.

You need to remove the main panel under the wheel, and the air pipe behind that. That should be enough to get in there.

Words of warning: don't attempt this in the rain, or when short of time - it will take four times longer than you thought it would. And make sure you disconnect the battery first.

Depends how flexible you are. If you go in from underneath the steering wheel, it's only mildly agonising. Make sure you have a helper to hand tools to you though, because extricating yourself from being upside down in the footwell is hard work.

You need to remove the main panel under the wheel, and the air pipe behind that. That should be enough to get in there.

Words of warning: don't attempt this in the rain, or when short of time - it will take four times longer than you thought it would. And make sure you disconnect the battery first.

I am not worried about getting to the ignition, ill just take all the right hand side of the dash out :)

Guest Phillw454

did you actually do this?

Will this affect my immobilser in anyway? cause if i turn the car off and open the dorr but dont lock it, i have to press the "unlock" button to un imobiles the car again so itl start (if that makes sense)

thinking of attempting it this weekend

• 1 month later...
Ask Greg at Turbofit he did mine, he loved doing it to :blink:

Hi was just wondering, if you've used this to completely take the place of the normal ignition? Is the ignition switch part actually wired up and what was your insurance companies view on it? ;) lol.

Only i quite liked the idea am planning on doing it myself while my car is off the road. Wanted it slightly more hidden from the view of thieving types though, lol.