The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Decat

Flip

Having tried to jack the car up at the weekend, and it giving me a lot of hard work and headaches, I'm thinking it might be an idea for someone else to fit my decats - anyone know anyone local to Bracknell/Camberley that can do it on a Saturday? Tried all the local exhaust shops and they told me to stick it as they couldn't get the car on the ramps, or they wouldn't do it for emissions reasons. Whifbitz is a bit far away and can't do it on a Saturday either. The only way I can get the car jacked up is to drive it onto bricks first - not the best!

Other option is if someone has a pit I could borrow in their garage? Or even better I bring along a 4 pack and they fit it for me :D

Mine came out easily with a large 1/2" sq. drive breaker bar, a wobbler extension bar, and an additional wobbler joint. Dead easy. Those nuts looked spanking up there. I did spray them with WD40 about 5 minutes before undoing them.

The car was on a hydraulic ramp though so things were a bit easier.

I don't find WD40 does a lot of penetration (calm down lads) Does anyone have any recommendations (and outlets!) for decent penetrating oils? I believe 3-in-1 is meant to be good, but I can't help feeling there must be something better out there by now!

I can see I'm going to have to do it myself aren't I... bugger.

Get some penerating oil, propper stuff, then take a spark plug brush, or a Steel brush the size of a toothbrush and rub away at the exsposed threads to get the rust off.

The problem with the catbolts is that they will break loose, turn a few times then get stuck cus of the rusted threads, then your up shit creek. they WILL snap if you continue and the stud doesent turn out

Removing the rust from the threads gives the bolts a nice thread to turn on and none of mine got stuck 14yr old bolts coming stright off :)

A tip for the first cat, there is a little plate with 3 bolts in, remove this and remove the little arm next too it which attaches to the bottom of the suspention arm.

This pretty much gives access to 3 nuts without the use of a wobbly joint and gives a square fit in your socket