The mkiv Supra Owners Club

REALLY dangerous - Engine Cutout whilst driving

Sheefa

Hi guys,

Mentioned this before, but thought it was just me being dumb, but it wasn't. :(

Today I went to the cashpoint on the Stratford road where a nice traffic cop sat looking at my Supra. I was a bit wary about being pulled because of my front numberplate. Anyhow, got back to the car, fired her up and put in the correct Blackjax code signified by a Blue LED Flash.

Pulled out of the garage and a modded shite ZR thought he'd try his luck. I pulled out into left lane, he into the right, I floored the loud pedal (bearing in mind she was already warm from the 20min trip beforehand) and to my surprise, COMPLETE engine cut out. Steering went stiff, no real brake ability and I had to roll into the buslane. He must of had a smirk on his face the fuck.:rolleyes:

Started her up fine again though. Happened 3 times now. Not sure if it's the alarm wiring or something more serious, either way if that happens on a corner, I'm really fucked!:Pling:

Any ideas what else could cause this? Help please mateys! :(

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks Imi, was thinking that but want to check out other things first, especially as it was installed by an authorised dealer, not a one man band and I've had no problems so far. Might not even be alarm related.

Jake - Definitely not user error mate. Entered the right code for sure, show by the Blue LED blip as I wanted to get away from the traffic cops first time! ;)

NOTE: The alarm didn't sound at all and I received no warning lights before cutout so I'm POSITIVE I entered the right code. :(

Thanks Imi, was thinking that but want to check out other things first, especially as it was installed by an authorised dealer, not a one man band and I've had no problems so far. Might not even be alarm related.

Reason why I suggested that was....

Hi guys,

Mentioned this before, but thought it was just me being dumb, but it wasn't. ...............Started her up fine again though. Happened 3 times now. Not sure if it's the alarm wiring or something more serious, either way if that happens on a corner, I'm really fucked!:Pling:

Hope this never happens to you on the motorway......

Sounds like User Error. Entered the wrong code?

Personally I'd turn that BlackJax shit off anyway. (in fact I did)

To be fair, as long as you are aware, and have a shirt unique code, its no problem

They wanted to put my code as 2496734 which would have taken a month of button taps to enter, but i settled for one a fair bit shorter, and its just a seconds work now as i put my belt on!

Mine did this a couple of times and Matt Harwood traced it back to the fuse that comes with the RLTC. It was of dubious quality and when it go hot it would randomly cut the engine, but then wouldn't start again for at least an hour.

Worth a look, only a 15 minute job and you can cross it off the list of suspects.

I had RLTC problems (Crap install by now belly-up tuner) which, caused this on mine, It cut the engine upon hard lift off the loud pedal. Once or twice on the motorway....It would also happen at random when I had someone in the pass seat with big feet.... once on a railway crossing when the lights just started to flash.....new underwear please!

So, if it happens with yours when you floored it, it could be the motion of the car jerking which, disturbs the fuse or loose wire.

Hi guys,

Pulled out of the garage and a modded shite ZR thought he'd try his luck. I pulled out into left lane, he into the right, I floored the loud pedal (bearing in mind she was already warm from the 20min trip beforehand) and to my surprise, COMPLETE engine cut out. Steering went stiff, no real brake ability and I had to roll into the buslane. He must of had a smirk on his face the fuck.:rolleyes:

This bit would've looked good in The Spirited Driving Chronicles. Better luck next time. :)

I did floor it and it cut out immediately yes Peter. Bloody annoying! Will check the fuses and connections over the weekend, Hopefully it's nothing more than that. It's only done it 3 times but bloody scary when it does. I dread to think what would happen if it did it whilst turning a bend! :(

I think it it is RLTC related, Pete has the same issue at ceratin settings with his set up. I am 90% sure it's related to the firmware in the unit, rather than the fused supply, the wiring or anythine external. We tried pete's box and it did the same. The power to the unit didn't disappear when the cut occured. I think it's something only racelogic could address, but I am electronically gormless at that sort of level :)

Thanks Chris, appreciate that. I know you and Pete did a perfect install, this is just frustrating! Especially after sorting the 22% slip engine cut out before!

Nothing I can do except double check everything and hope for the best I suppose! It does seem to only happen after I change a setting quickly. What's perhaps needed is an altered setting, engine on, engine off and back on again to correct. :)

i had something allmost the same as this random cutout when accelerating hard it turned out to be the +12v wiring to the ecu i had spliced 2 things (RLTC and SAFC) onto one 12v ecu supply, i moved one onto another +12v feed and problem solved, if you have had the RLTC installed correctly you should be able to link it out on the connection plugs so it is out of circuit so to speak, this may help you proove whether it is that or not