The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric Window height adjustment

MarkR

Hi guys

I recently had the window cable snap in my drivers side door. I replaced it and all works fine now, except i'm really battling with the adjustment of the height of the window once i wind it up. If i wind up the window with the door open, then it catches when i shut it. I've tried adjusting it about 12 times, but each time i think i've fixed it, it catches again after a few days. Any ideas on the method to adjust this?

[sAD][/sAD]

I had the same. Trial and error as far as I'm concerned. If you had it right to start with and now its out of line again, are you sure you have the fixing bolts tight enough ?

I started by making sure the mounting bolt heads were 'centered' in the bracket holes if that makes sense, as there is a fair bit of adjustment available there. Also, theres an in-out adjuster too (bolt with a plastic adjuster, on the bottom of the assembly) , which allows you to move the top of the window inwards or outwards...I found that this made a lot of difference to the 'fit' of the window when the door was being closed etc.

Not much help I know, but I feel your pain.

hmmmmmm, i was afraid someone was gonna say that... thanks anyway. I didn't see the in/out shake it all about adjuster thing, so i might give that a bash. The problem i have is that it's random as to when it closes properly and when it doesn't so i guess i'll just have to keep trying. Cheers bud

Been out to look at my window again....

The window and rubber strip are designed so that the sealing is achieved by the glass pushing against it sideways when the window is raised, not upwards. The back edge of the glass just pushes sideways against the rubber seal, and the top edge of the glass pushes sideways against the rubber seal whilst at the same time pulling the seal lip down over the edge of the glass. If you understand what I mean, you will suss that you need to adjust the window height (with the mounting bolts) so that it stops at a height that will just clear the top rubber strip (seal lip) when you open and close the door, then adjust the in-out adjuster (at the bottom of the window mounting mech) so that the window edge makes a good seal when the door is closed, and when the window is raised. Have a look at the passenger door window (assuming this one works fine) going up and down against the seal with the door closed, and open and close the passenger door a few times to suss what Im babbling about...see how the glass pushes against the seal strip sideways.

Thanks Ewen. It's a nightmare, cos the one time i did have it so that it closed properly, it leaked when driving over 60, so every subsequent time i've tried setting it i have to do a 60mph+ test drive, and then try again. Really annoying... Might try again when it's warmer cos my fingers rae starting to hurt... :(

Useful to know it's the side force and not the up force that seals it.

Cheers

Mark