The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction kits

Guest b00ker_b0y

Guest b00ker_b0y

Hey people;

this might seem like a realy random question but here goes.

I am constantly seeing air filters being advertsied which come with a short ducting pipe. I dont realy see the difference between this and an induction kit? Does an induction kit bascily come with a new larger inlet pipe over the stock one?

It makes me wonder if what i got on my supra is an induction kit (it was on there when i bought it) or just an apexi aircleaner, as the pipe does not go right up to the fuel injection part of the engine.

this is a bit of an intresting read i found:

"Induction kits and air filters.

An induction kit is a kit with a new air filter, a big intake pipe (Usually metal) and the clips etc. to fit it. It should replace the intake system right up to the fuel injection. An air filter kit is an air filter, sometimes with a fitting kit and sometimes some ducting. Don't buy one thinking it is the other. K&N do replacement element kits where you replace the cars air filter element with their one. I have seen these sold as induction kits. They are not. An induction kit will increase your cars power and noise more than just an air filter.

"

Guest b00ker_b0y

Yeah mate, i have read about this on here, but i dont understand why? surley the shorter the distance the air has to travel through a larger intake pipe the better?

I thought the induction kit for the Corrado VR6 was a good idea. They put the air filter roughly where the SMIC is on the TT Supra (attached piccy), and give ya a shiney pipe to connect it all up. This got good cold air flow, avoided any (or a lot anyway) of heat from the engine...and sounded cool to boot (WAV) - and remember this is plain induction roar, no exhaust note. :D

No idea if it actually improved performance or not, it was that induction noise that got me hooked!

EngineFilter.jpg