The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic to Manual

TheChin

Hey all,

Currently looking to buy a supra in the next month or so. It seems quite hard to find a TT thats manual. I heard that its a case of the ECU and the gear linkage? Anything cosmetic i can deal with but engine/gearbox i'm a little bit baffled. Is there any companies that offer this as a service or will this be a collection of parts and done by a garage.

Is it as easy as i think it is or is the Automatic good enough?

If someone has a review on both that would help as i wouldnt change if it was damn good enough. Is there any change lag with the auto, is the kickdown good?

Thanks in advance.

I tried to search for something relevant but couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a duplicate thread. New to these forums.

Thanks again

Hi mate, i went through exactly the same thing when i bought mine. in the end i decided that i oculdnt quite stretch to a decent manul, and i went for a decent auto insted. have to say im very very surprised with the auto box!! very responsice, good kickdown etc. it all depends on your budget really, but if you cant stretch to a manual then go for the auto.

Conversion wise your looking around £2k-£3k iirc -you have to change the transmission tunnel etc.

have a read of these for some ideas:

Auto Vs. Manual

how to convert from auto to manual

Hope that helps ;)

Good luck

Autos versus Manuals versus Tiptronics

The Supra auto isn’t your typical ponderous auto box - this is a responsive unit with three speeds plus an overdrive and with excellent kick down that revs all the way to the red line.

In addition it has a full manual mode - press the manual button next to the gear selector and you can manually shift through the gears yourself.

Having said that, there’s no doubt that if you want a more involving driving experience the manual is the one to have, ineither five or six speed versions. As already mentioned on UK cars autos are the more plentiful variety and you could be waiting some time for a manual to become available. JSpec

cars are a different matter as there seems to be a good mix of both types. Most people’s first reaction on thinking about getting an auto Supra is ‘no way’, but don’t dismiss it.

If you get the chance to try out both before buying then do so, as this is quite a personal thing and reactions vary greatly. Some drivers instantly fall in love with the auto while others just want to have more control and choose the manual. I had never owned an automatic car and was very wary of getting an auto, but now I doubt if I’d ever have a manual Supra.

Basically if you want the maximum driving involvement from your Supra then go for the manual. If you're happy to just plant your foot on the floor and have a solid 'wall' ofacceleration then go auto. Acceleration is more fun in the auto, but the corners are more fun in the manual... and there lies the problem in trying to decide. Try both.

What about the Tiptronic version then? This was only available on facelift cars (so if you’ve been paying attention you’ll know that means you can’t get a UK Tiptronic, right?) and the

Tiptronic gearbox is exactly the same as the Auto (it’s the A340E if you want to impress your friends). Essentially this is an auto box but with a full manual mode controllable via four buttons on the steering wheel – facing you are the ‘down’ buttons (one on each side) and on the side of the steering wheel facing away from you are the ‘up’ buttons.

To enable manual mode you move the gear stick into auto and then nudge it to the right which shows 'M' on the digital display. Two important things to note: firstly you can shift up and down through all four gears, whereas the standard auto gearbox in manual mode only allows you to shift through three (overdrive isn’t available). Secondly, when you slow down for junctions, roundabouts, etc, even when in manual mode the Tiptronic will act like an auto and change down for you. When in standard auto mode the buttons don’t do anything and in manual mode it won’t let you over-rev the engine by changing down too soon (it just beeps at you). Overall then quite a neat bit of kit.

What’s it like to drive? Although generally recognised as being pretty pointless for pootling about if you want a bit of spirited driving it’s great. The buttons could do with being a bit bigger (and they lack ‘feel’) but generally the Tiptronic is an excellent combination – all the advantages of easy auto cruising and then the fun of manual gear changes without taking your hands off the wheel when you want a bit of a thrash. The only problem is finding one – they are still relatively rare and even in Japan didn’t sell particularly well so not too many

available for import.

Thanks alot, got 2 booked for sunday, a full manual and auto so shall post my results here :D

You're doing the right thing - take them both for a drive and see what you like. You will almost certainly be surprised by the auto, its extremely good.

.....not that I'd ever trade my 6spd in for one :D

Autos versus Manuals versus Tiptronics

whereas the standard auto gearbox in manual mode only allows you to shift through three (overdrive isn’t available).

Nope - if you're having a thrash you tend to knock overdrive off via the little thumb button on the shifter, so when you get into 3rd ('D') and want 4th (Overdrive) you just press the little button on the shifter again.

Depends what you want from the car really - if you wanna be a drag warrior go auto, if you'd rather do some track work go manual.

I have an auto (boostlogic version) and have been going down the 'let's go as fast as possible on the drag strip' road, with a hi stall torque converter fitted as well. Day to day I love the huge shove of neverending torque you get with the auto and the relaxed nature of driving it in traffic especially. When I get to my favourite local backroads though, I sometimes yearn for a manual. I also love trackday action.... but you cant have it all ways. Ideally I'd have 3 Supra TT's:

1. Current drag focused auto (with soft suspension, rear positive camber setup to get the most out of it, one of the bigger 'laggy' single turbo's and supporting mods also)

2. A track ready manual (with stiff suspension and adjustable components to dial in appropriate camber / caster / toe angles dependant on the track along with a quick spooling small single turbo and supporting mods)

3. A completely boggo standard auto - because they're such a nice, refined and relaxed drive as they come. The moment you start modding them you begin to lose that.

Cheers,

Brian.

Nope - if you're having a thrash you tend to knock overdrive off via the little thumb button on the shifter, so when you get into 3rd ('D') and want 4th (Overdrive) you just press the little button on the shifter again.

I'm pretty sure the link merckx put up is correct. O/D does not engage when in Manual mode on mine. Flicking the O/D button does nothing until you knock the manual button off.

I have a tiptronic, and it's better imho the the full auto, cos you get to change down gears without moving your hands... very good in and out of corners and once you get the knack of it you'll leave it in manual mode forever (I can't do the auto anymore cos i keep trying to change down on the steering wheel)... I even try changing down in normal cars now that i've got used to it and usually end up changing the radio station on the wheel mounted controls hahaha :)

I have a tiptronic, and it's better imho the the full auto, cos you get to change down gears without moving your hands... very good in and out of corners and once you get the knack of it you'll leave it in manual mode forever (I can't do the auto anymore cos i keep trying to change down on the steering wheel)... I even try changing down in normal cars now that i've got used to it and usually end up changing the radio station on the wheel mounted controls hahaha :)

agreed :)

I've had my auto for year now.Its nothing like i expected.My previous car was a Calibra turbo with about 310-320 bhp and a paddle clutch.So when i changed i thought i was going to be a little disappointed.Coudn't have been more wrong.The auto box is superb.Trundle aroud and it is smooth and gentle.Put the hammer down and it will rev to red line in every gear.Learn to use the box and you will not regret it.Don't forget:you don't have to put it into manual mode to get response.Just move between 1st and D,almost like a sequential box.Be careful on the up changes:it takes just a nudge to move the lever;too hard and your in neutral or reverse!The bloke that set my boost controller up was a dab hand at it.Acceleration was ferocious.Good luck.

• 2 years later...
Guest Ghost1200

Anyone know of a company that would do the complete conversion from start to finish? If ive missed it then i apologise...its 6:05am and ive just finished work so gimme a break.

Ghost