The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ok ive have a problem :(

silvershark44

Well some of you may remember my thread about a strange noise. I have now diagnosed this as a hole in one of the silencers in the exhaust.

But now i have an even worse problem!

Basically the car makes a really bad creaking/grinding noise on the back wheel when driving forward. On braking it seems to make the noise too. Its really loud and clunky, and definitely coming from that area.

After removing the wheel i found the suspension boot to be in a completely raggered state. After removing most of that, i hoped it was that causing the issue, but it didnt help.

After about an hour of driving slowly forward and backwards trying to diagnose the problem, i took it for a spirited drive around the block. The sound completely dissappeared at all speeds.

Then on the second trip round the block the sound returned once more.

So im at a complete loss.

Video of the noise here

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/silvershark44/?action=view&current=SUPRAcreak1-1.flv

Unfortunately, I only had slopes to put the car on. So i couldnt take the brakes off on the jack.

I wouldn't let that worry me. Wheel blocks? Bricks? A mates head, whatever comes closest to hand really should stop it rolling back.... oh and leave it in gear.

I wouldn't let that worry me. Wheel blocks? Bricks? A mates head, whatever comes closest to hand really should stop it rolling back.... oh and leave it in gear.

Yeah unfortunately im at uni and i couldnt find anything suitable.

Interestingly though, it doesnt really make the noise when you go in reverse. Seems more so when driving forward

who changed the pads..........if you did you do anything re the handrake?

did both the sliders (assuming j spec brakes) slide freely? were the old pads worn down equally?

Does it do it with the handbrake up a click or two ie with it dragging?

does it do it if you 'drag' the actual brakes?

Yeah unfortunately im at uni and i couldnt find anything suitable.

Interestingly though, it doesnt really make the noise when you go in reverse. Seems more so when driving forward

That's the creaking noise I got before the wheel bearing gave up, it turned into a grinding noise after that. Mine didn't seem to do it in reverse when it was in it's infancy.

Assuming that's the rear left wheel, seems common for the bearing to go on that one. Is it louder when going round roundabouts?

That's the creaking noise I got before the wheel bearing gave up, it turned into a grinding noise after that. Mine didn't seem to do it in reverse when it was in it's infancy.

Assuming that's the rear left wheel, seems common for the bearing to go on that one. Is it louder when going round roundabouts?

ahh dont say that! :( sounds expensive

Ok

I posted up a soundclip yesturday of a strange noise the car was making on the rear nearside wheel.

When driving slowly it sounded as if something were catching in the brakes causing this noise. I put this down to being a dodgy caliper, but now im not so sure.

Unfortunately, this noise has become intermittant, sometimes its there and really loud and sometimes its completely gone. It seems to materialise after 10 mins of driving at the moment.

I have checked the wheel for play and it appears to be ok, it doesnt appear to move at all. BUT it does creak quite badly when applying pressure to it in different directions. To be honest im not sure how much it should move if it had a damaged wheel bearing.

Anything I can do to check this further??

• 1 month later...