The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Service Cost

lust2luv

I've just been quoted for a 36,000 mile 'A' service (based on 9k service schedule):

237+VAT for service + plugs

+30 for brake fluid change

+35 for engine coolant change

(all of which someone previously stated should be included in this service)

That works out over 350 quid, which is more than my last 'B' service cost; same Toyota dealer.  Their hourly rate is 51.95+VAT.   She said the service without the plug change would be around 150+VAT, does that sound a lot just for the plugs??

Anyone recall how much they paid for this service?

Cheers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one of our local Toyota dealers price up all the sevices from 27000 to 72000 based on the UK car scope of work, but using the J-spec parts and labour rates. It was just a guide, but the final prices didn't differ that much from the UK service rates.

I can't remember what is included in the 36000 mile service but by coincidence I have my J-spec SZ booked in for one on 17th May. If you search through the threads you may be able to find some of the information because I have posted lots of stuff about service prices and schedules before.

What I do remember is that one of the serviecs tops out at almost £400 because a load of other items like plugs and fluids get changed at the same time. I can't remember which one it is until I go home and look at my information, but I'm pretty sure its not the 36000 mile one.

Check it out:

http://www.rolec.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=3&topic=318&start=20

The 36000 service does have a lot of add-ons:

36000 miles or four years: A SERVICE plus:

Change spark plugs (non platinum only).

Change brake fluid.

Change engine coolant.

Change transmission oil.

Despite all the extras, because it is a basic "A" service it helps keep the cost down.

The next "A" (45000 miles) is a cheapy with no add ons, but that just gives breathing space to save up for the next "B" service at 54000 when they also change the plugs, fluids amd check the valve clearances. This is the one that comes in at £400, I think.

I'll try to find the associated price tonight.

Lee, yep it's Fish Brothers.  Do you go there?   My 'B' only cost 299, so what they're quoting me doesn't seem to add up with Darren's figures, which i was working from.  They haven't factored any of the additional work into the actual service quote, and adding them on top brings it way above the 221 someone was quoted.  Looking through past threads I've found these prices:

A - 9000 - 136

A - 18000 - 190

B - 27000 - 293

A - 36000 - 221

A - 45000 - 135

B - 54000 - 364

Don't know if these are ex-VAT, but the difference between the 36k and 45k services seems to reflect the extra work Darren has mentioned.  Fish Brothers however seem to be totally unaware of differences in 'A' services.   :confused:

Anyone found a Toyota dealer anywhere near Swindon who knows what they're doing?  (asking for the earth, I know!)  What about Lexus dealers, considering it's a Lexus engine in my NA?

Cheers

Any figures I have posted on here in the past will be "all inclusive" i.e. parts, labour, VAT, and all the extras.

Calling them "extras" is a bit of a misnomer really, because if you read the UK handbook it describes the scope of work for A and B services, but you *leave out* the bits that are only required at longer intervals than 9000 miles.

Any Toyota dealer should at least be familiar with the service schedule. Fork out £15 or so for a UK handbook, and then beat the service Manager around the head with it! They are quite sturdy and repeated applications to the skull will hurt after a while. :-)

Whether or not they know the scope of work, and can put a coherent quote together, if they actually *do* all the work that is specified is another point entirely of course!

My servicing price info is a little bit mixed up, but I'll post what I have found in the bottom of my filing cabinet :-)

I asked two dealers (Richard Nash - now Dingles in Norwich, and Gooch Motors in Lowestoft) for a complete set of prices from 9000 miles to 72000 miles. One of them gave me the UK prices and the other gave me a sort of "hybrid" price based on the UK scope of work and labour times, but with the import labour rate and parts prices.

Here's the kicker: I have forgotten which is which!

Here are the prices I am "working to" (i.e. budgeting for - I have lost the figures for 9000 and 18000miles).

9000:

18000:

27000: £241.08

36000: £219.79

45000: £142.24

54000: £365.87

63000: £142.24

72000: £219.27

Here are the other prices that I have:

9000: £121.95

18000: £179.91

27000: £241.42

36000: £208.59

45000: £121.95

54000: £344.83

63000: £179.71

72000: £208.59

I think the top prices are the hybrid ones.

To repeat: these are all inclusive prices. Parts, labour, VAT, and all the "extras".

HTH.

Wow, don't know if it's just a regional thing, but those prices you quote are substantially lower than I can get. Are you 100% sure they include all the 'plus' items?

Latest on my quest to get the full quoted 36,000 mile service...

Fish Brothers, Swindon

Basic Service: 150 +VAT?

Plugs: 88 +VAT?

Brake fluid: 30 +VAT?

Coolant: 35 +VAT?

Transmission oil: 52 +VAT?

Grand total = 355 (417)

Bill Allen, Gloucester

Basic Service (includes plugs): 225-250 (inc VAT)

Brake fluid: 25 +VAT

Coolant: 35 +VAT

Transmission oil: 25 +VAT

Grand total = 325-350

Inchcape, Oxford

Basic Service (includes transmission oil + coolant!): 250 (inc VAT)

plugs: 100 (inc VAT)

brake fluid: 85 (inc VAT)!

Grand total = 435

I'm beginning to despair! Do Toyota just conjure these service details and prices out of their collective asses or what? And how can a change of brake fluid vary by 340%?!

Seeing as this is looking like spiralling upwards towards 400 quid, even without the cost of sorting my blowing exhaust, which of these is the most important, and which can I leave until a more financially solvent time:

Change spark plugs.

Change brake fluid.

Change engine coolant.

Change transmission oil.

(bearing in mind my car, an N/A, doing 9k/year)

Obviously if I already have platinum plugs, that'll save quite a bit. Silly question time, how can you tell if you platinum plugs?

Many thanks in advance for any useful advice! :)

Originally posted by lust2luv

Wow, don't know if it's just a regional thing, but those prices you quote are substantially lower than I can get. Are you 100% sure they include all the 'plus' items?

They certainly ought to - I double and triple checked enough times with the guy on the end of the phone! :conf:

There may well be a regional difference. A cambelt change around here costs about £160. When JIC got Abbey Toyota to do one for me before I picked my car up I they were charged over £200 for the same job (mostly labour).

Just to p*ss you off even more, when I took my car for its 27000 mile service, the final invoice was about £20 less than the figure I had been given previously (and I got a courtesy car)!

Anyway, I have a chance verify (or otherwise) my research this week because I am taking my NA auto for its 36000 service this Friday afternoon.

Watch this space...

Race specification - titanium aren't they, Option motorsport in Silverstone said thats all they use and they only service Jap Sports cars - I would guess they know what they are talking about as racelogic recommended them in the first place. Speak to Nanna at Options if you want more info 01327 858555. ( NAnna is a jap name)

That quote is for bog standard Toyota plugs - he said they'd be something like 6 quid a pop and then quoted 100 quid for their replacement! Are they a real pig to get to then? :conf:

Darren, I'd definitely be interested in hearing if you can get all that done for 220 odd. At the moment I'm booked in for Monday of next week, but I'm having serious doubts. I'd be willing to travel all the way to East Anglia for those prices! (all those scary stories I hear can't be true! :p )

Its interesting that that you are getting all the prices quoted separately on top of a "basic service". What do they mean by that?

I'm not sure why there is such confusion over the scope of work when it is printed in good old black and white in the owner's handbook.

Work-wise, a 36000 mile service for a MKIV should be a 36000 mile service for a MKIV regardless of where you go. Surely Toyota have all their routine services pre-priced on their system? If they want to charge more for a J-sec then they just have to adjust the labour rate, but when one says a "basic service" just includes transmission oil + coolant and another says it just includes plugs, something is very wrong.

My thoughts exactly. For the most part they seem to regard the 36,000 mile service as nothing more than an oil change and top up of your screenwash! It certainly doesn't seem that they have the scope, or for that matter the price, programmed into their systems. As for it being Jap spec, the Gloucester garage was very honest with that, saying some parts may be more (hence the 25 quid variation), but if they weren't it'd be the exact same price.

Maybe I should contact Toyota direct, but do they even officially support the servicing of imported cars?

Git ooooooooorrrffffffffff moi laaaaaaaaaaaand!

:D

A bit more info. Just rang Gooch Motors in Lowestoft (where I am going on Friday - not used them before) to double check my booking.

Their UK price for a 36000mile is "about £210" all inclusive.

UK labour rate: £46.15 / hour (I'm in the wrong job).

J-spec labour rate: £59.95 / hour (I'm definitely in the wrong job).

but

The 36000 mile service is only a 1.5 hour job so I should only end up paying £24 over the UK price (assuming the parts are the same).

Have you treble checked it includes any/all the 'plus' items? It doesn't sound very much time to do all that?

I assume they are official Toyota dealers?

If so I think I'm gonna beat my local dealers around the head with your quote!! :devil:

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by Adam_SG

Race specification - titanium aren't they, Option motorsport in Silverstone said thats all they use and they only service Jap Sports cars - I would guess they know what they are talking about as racelogic recommended them in the first place. Speak to Nanna at Options if you want more info 01327 858555. ( NAnna is a jap name)

Titanium ?? I hope not. I think you mean platinum or maybe iridium.

HKS iridium plugs are £14.50 each if bought from TIC, and chances are that these are just a re-badged NGK plug.

Anybody remember what the mark up was on Blitz vs NGK plugs ?

There is also some doubt as to whether the difference between a platinum and an Iridum plug is worth it when you start turning the boost and hence combustion temps up. You will be replacing plugs a lot sooner than the 60,000 miles specified by Toyota.

Don't think i'm having a go or anything, it's just that there has been too many stories in the past of people being ripped off by dealers\garages. But on the other hand if you don't mind handing over £90 for something your not exactly sure what it is then i'm sure me and many others could oblige. :D

As for actually fitting the plugs, that is one of the easier jobs on the MKIV. Take a look at http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/spark_plugs/index.html

Maybe I should contact Toyota direct, but do they even officially support the servicing of imported cars?

I am sure I read somewhere that Toyota has a global dealership policy, which means you should be able to get your car serviced anywhere in the world regardless of where it was manufactured.

Have you treble checked it includes any/all the 'plus' items? It doesn't sound very much time to do all that?

I assume they are official Toyota dealers?

I will be quadruple checking with them on Friday (should be simple enough to check from the parts they replace). However it ties in closely enough with the other prices I have got in the past for me to assume that it does. I'll let you know for sure on Friday or Saturday.

They are official Toyota dealers. I have started using them since my other dealer got taken over (by yet another local Toyota dealer) and started getting all "funny" about imports. We are a bit spolit for choice here in Norfolk!

Originally posted by Terminator

I am sure I read somewhere that Toyota has a global dealership policy, which means you should be able to get your car serviced anywhere in the world regardless of where it was manufactured.[/b]

I have a document relating to this which I would be delighted to share. I'll try to scan it tonight. Trouble is I don't have anywhere to host it at the moment (Yahoo! photos will resize it so it will not be readable). Can anyone help?

Righty-dokey, folks. My SZ had its 36000 mile service today. Here is the feedback.

Boy, are you guys going to love this.

Took my car into Gooch Motors at 13:30, where I planned to wait until it was ready. The lady on the service desk (Autobase) was very friendly and polite and knowledgable and knew what I was in for as soon as I said my name. She said there was a slight mistake on the booking as I was not scheduled until 15:00, but they would try to rearrange things so as not to waste my time on such a lovely afternoon (its been 20deg plus here today).

Five minutes later my car was being worked on :)

I double checked about the scope of work and went through the schedule in the service book with her. She made all the right noises at the "extra" jobs and said she would go out and check with the mechanic to make sure he knew which bits to do.

I happen to ask if they need to test drive my car. She says yes, but only a few miles. Reading my mind, she says I am welcome to go with the mechanic when he does the drive, or I can skip it altogether. Feeling trusting I tell her its OK, just go ahead as normal.

Having made sure I was happy and knew where the coffee machine was, the receptionist let me be. For as long as I was there not more than 20 mins passed betwen times when she asked if I wanted a coffee, or if I was OK, or that she apologised about the wait. :)

About halfway into the service she reappeared saying that my car had platinum plugs so they wouldn't need replacing yet. One "extra" down :)

1.5 hours came and went (the originally alotted time for the job) and Ms. Receptionist reappears looking like she has to tell me there has been a death in my family. She (very apologeticaly) says the the mechanic is having trouble bleeding the my coolant system after the drain / fill (note: "extra" two sorted :) ) and my car will be a little while longer. No problem, I tell her.

Presently, the service is over having taken about two hours. Before the test drive I am invited into the service area to talk to the mechanic and have a poke around under my car while it is still up on the ramps. He tells me about a couple of minor oil leaks he has found (nothing to worry about). He tells me he remembers seeing my car parked outside when I picked up my brake pads a few weeks back.

Ten minutes later I head for the service desk again while Ms. Receptionist makes up my bill. We check it together and I can see all the "extra" items on there.

Then she hits the key to total it all up.

Wait for it...

I told you were going to love this...

£153.35 all in. Parts. Labour. Extras. VAT. Everything.

Here's the thing. The service is priced up as a complete job. When you ask for the price for a 36000 mile service, they tell you whatever they tell you and that's that. Now, my car did not need new spark plugs (one of the "extras"). The price of that "extra" was therefore effectively subtracted from my bill. Proof positive that Toyota service quotes do include all the extras appropriate for the vehicle mileage.

Apart from the slightly longer wait than planned, the worst part of the afternoon was when I opened my breifcase to get my service book out for Ms. Receptionist and exposed a fleshy part of the cover of Loaded that I had brought to read. From her side of the desk it must have looked like I had a w*nk mag in my case.

I tell you guys, come to Norfolk when you need your cars serviced. A few quid on petrol, £30 in a B&B, and you'll have saved yourselves a couple of hundred notes.

Lust2luv: if you are reading this, send me your e-mail address again. I have scanned in my invoice for you. I suggest you print it, wrap it around a piece of lead pipe and bludgeon your Toyota guys over the head with it until they sort it out.

Happy as larry , me.

:D